The best plugin air purifiers effectively capture and remove microscopic allergens in the air, those embedded on walls, floors, furniture, and surrounding fabrics.
Besides, plugin air purifiers are a great travel accessory as they enable you to enjoy quality air at home and wherever you go. Also, these air purifiers are best suited for compact rooms such as the bathroom, bedroom, living area, kitchen, nursery, and home office. Plugging in at the pollutant source will get you quicker and better air purification.
Air purifiers in general help to clear dust, odors, bacteria, viruses, and other allergens, leaving your home clean and smelling fresh. Most importantly, you enjoy an allergen-free environment, breathing fresh air void of germs, dust, smoke, and odors. Likewise, air purifiers enable you to live a healthier life and save lots of cleaning time since they minimize dust accumulation.
Further, plug-in air purifiers are preferred for being energy-efficient, small-sized, and easily portable. Below, we outline some of the best plug-in air purifiers in the market, their pros & cons, as well as their main features.
- Best Plugin Air Purifier Comparison Table
- Reviews of the Best Plugin Air Purifiers 2021
- 1. GermGuardian GG1000 Pluggable UV-C Sanitizer and Deodorizer
- 2. GermGuardian GG1100W Elite Pluggable UVC Air Sanitizer and Deodorizer Air Purifier
- 3. GreenTech Environmental GT50 Professional-Grade Portable Advanced Air Purification System
- 4. Plixio PLX50 Portable Odor Eliminating Plug-in Ionic Air Purifier & Ozone Generator for Home or Office
- 5. Hamilton Beach TrueAir Plug-Mount Odor Eliminator Nightlight with Carbon Filter (04531GM)
- 6. PURE Car Air Purifier 3-in-1 Purifier, Ionizer & Charger
- 7. O3 Pure AAP 50 Plug-In Adjustable Ionic Room Air Purifier
- 8. GreenTech Environmental pureAir 50 – Small Space Plug-in Air Purifier & Air Cleaner
- 9. EdenPURE OxiLeaf Plug-in Adjustable Air Purifier
- Best plug-in air purifiers buyer’s guide
Best Plugin Air Purifier Comparison Table
Before we review each product, here is a breakdown of the main features at a glance:
|Best Plugin Air Purifier||Filtration||Coverage||Weight|
|1. GermGuardian GG1000|
|HEPA & optional UV C||100 sq. ft.||1.8 lbs|
|2. GermGuardian GG1100W Elite||Optionl UV C & titanium dioxide||100 sq. ft.||12 oz|
|3. GreenTech Environmental GT50||HVAC filter, activated oxygen & ionization||50 sq. ft.||0.31 lbs|
|4. Plixio PLX50||Ionization||100 sq. ft.||14.4 oz|
|5. Hamilton Beach TrueAir 04531GM||True HEPA||150 sq. ft.||1.2 lbs|
|6. PURE Car Air Purifier 3-in-1||Ionization||n/s||0.493 oz|
|7. O3 Pure AAP 50||Ionization||150 sq. ft.||6.4 oz|
|8. GreenTech Environmental pureAir 50||Ionization||325 sq. ft.||6.35 oz|
|9. EdenPURE OxiLeaf||Ionization||n/s||7.5 oz|
Reviews of the Best Plugin Air Purifiers 2021
Following a thorough review of the plugin air purifiers in the market, the following are the best plugin air purifiers in 2021:
1. GermGuardian GG1000 Pluggable UV-C Sanitizer and Deodorizer
The GermGuardian GG1000 Pluggable UV-C Sanitizer and Deodorizer air purifier has a great reputation for being effective in air purification. Besides, the unit is ultra-quiet thus making it an excellent addition to your home.
Besides, the GermGuardian GG1000 plug-in air purifier applies UV C treatment to eliminate odors, kill germs and viruses thus providing the best protection against infections and allergic reactions.
Further, although the GermGuardian GG1000 plugin air purifier applies UV C, it does not emit ozone. Besides, the UV C light treatment is optional so users can either activate it or use the air purifier without it.
The manufacturer notes that the unit eradicates odor though we believe it is not as efficient as alternative carbon activated air purifiers.
- Weight: 1.8 pounds
- Dimensions: 4 x 3 x 7.5 inches
- Optional UV C light
- Recommended area coverage: 100 sq. ft.
- Lightweight and compact
- Effectively gets rid of over 99% of viruses and bacteria
- Excellent for travel – it is an easy-to-use (plug and play) air purifier
- Absorbs irritating odors
- Ultra-quiet – can hardly be heard across the room
- No maintenance costs – you don’t have filters to change. Only the UV-C bulb that is replaceable every 6 to 8 months
- 1-year limited warranty
- Not suitable for large rooms
2. GermGuardian GG1100W Elite Pluggable UVC Air Sanitizer and Deodorizer Air Purifier
Second on our list of the best pluggable air purifiers is the GermGuardian GG1100W. The unit also uses UV C light to kill bacteria and viruses. Also, it works with Titanium Dioxide to minimize organic compounds. Its recommended coverage is 100 sq. ft.
Likewise, the GermGuardian GG1100W plug-in air purifier requires minimal maintenance since it does not use filters. You only need to replace the UV C light bulb within 8 to 12 months of use. Another unique feature is that the unit’s UV C bulb changes color to alert you of the exceeded lifespan.
Further, the GG1100W air purifier is efficient at pet odor reduction, smoke, and other pollutants. It’s most effective when placed at the source, for instance, in the bathrooms, kitchen, or pet area. Also, the air purifier generates a soothing white noise and has a calm night light – excellent for a good night’s sleep.
- Weight: 12 ounces
- Dimensions: 6.75 x 3.5 x 6.75 inches
- UV C light bulb treatment (optional) plus titanium dioxide
- Night light
- USB charging port
- Recommended coverage is 100 sq. ft.
- Covers a decent area
- Effectively fights odors
- It is designed with a USB charging port
- Reduces allergies by killing germs and viruses
- 1-year limited manufacturer’s warranty
- Not efficient in larger rooms exceeding 100 sq. ft.
- It doesn’t have an off or on switch meaning, you have to unplug when it is not in use.
3. GreenTech Environmental GT50 Professional-Grade Portable Advanced Air Purification System
The GreenTech Environmental GT50 portable air purifier is also a powerhouse. The plugin air purifier has an excellent ability to kill germs and allergens as well as remove odor. Also, it’s the best plug-in air purifier with purification adjustment options. Likewise, the unit is convenient and easy-to-operate.
Apart from being light and easily portable, the GreenTech Environmental GT50 is popular for low energy consumption and easy adaptability. It ranges between 100 Volts – 240 Volts thus can be used anywhere around the globe. Further, it produces minimal noise thus suitable for bedrooms, bathrooms, and nurseries.
- Weight: 0.31 pounds
- Dimensions: 5 x 2.5 x 3.5 inches
- Adjustable purification
- Air cleaning is achieved by HVAC filter, activated oxygen, and ionization.
- Ranges between 100 V to 240 V
- Maximum area covered: 50 sq. ft.
- Acts as a deodorizer
- Fairly priced
- Excellent at killing bacteria and viruses
- Easy to maintain
- Removes odor efficiently
- The voltage range (100v – 240v) makes it a global appliance
- Light and easily portable
- Quiet operation
- The maximum area coverage is small – 50 sq. ft.
- Emits ozone – excess exposure to ozone has negative health effects
4. Plixio PLX50 Portable Odor Eliminating Plug-in Ionic Air Purifier & Ozone Generator for Home or Office
The Plixio PLX50 Portable Odor Eliminating Plug-in Ionic Air Purifier is an ultra-quiet air cleaner that doubles as an odor eliminator. The plugin air purifier is a low consumption unit that operates on less than 7 Watts.
Also, the unit does not require any filters because it utilizes air ionization to clean air in a room. The air purifier generates ozone to get rid of viruses and bacteria. Further, the Plixio air purifier makes a perfect travel companion because it is a small size unit.
Also, the air purifier’s high efficiency in allergen elimination makes it one of the best plug-in air purifiers for allergy sufferers. Plug it in any room to get rid of pet odors, kitchen fumes, cigarette smoke, and other allergy triggers.
- Weight: 14.4 ounces
- Dimensions: 4.5 X 4 x 2 inches
- No filter
- Has an air ionizer dial for adjusting Ozone output – ranges between 0 – 50mgs per hour
- Recommended area coverage: 100 sq. ft. (use two units for areas larger than 150 sq. ft.)
- it’s an efficient allergy eliminator
- It’s efficient at eliminating odors
- It’s a low energy consumption unit
- Allows users to adjust Ozone emission levels
- Compact and light thus easily portable
- Easy to use (plug and play)
- Doesn’t require filters
- Does not discharge any chemical smells
- Too much exposure to Ozone has negative health effects
5. Hamilton Beach TrueAir Plug-Mount Odor Eliminator Nightlight with Carbon Filter (04531GM)
The Hamilton Beach 04531GM is another efficient plugin air purifier for air purification and odor elimination. It’s also one of the best air purifiers for bathrooms. The air purifier uses filters to pick up allergens and eliminate viruses and germs.
Besides, the Hamilton Beach 04531GM is equipped with a fresh scent cartridge that works simultaneously with the filtration system such that while the odor is being eliminated, a fresh scent is released to keep your home smelling fresh.
Further, the unit’s filters last for three months on average while the fresh scent is dependent on how often it is used. You have the option of turning it on and off as you wish. Lastly, the Hamilton Beach 04531GM plugin air purifier features a built-in night light suitable for a bedroom or bathroom.
- Weight: 1.2 pounds
- Dimensions: 6.46 H x 5.24 W x 3.74 D inches
- Uses filters – True HEPA filter, pre-filter, and activated carbon filter
- Equipped with fresh scent cartridge (green meadow cartridge)
- Coverage: approximately 150 sq. ft.
- Fits any 110V outlet
- Filters life: 3 months or less depending on the intensity of use
- Night light feature
- 3- Fan speed settings
- Filter change indicator
- Efficient filtration – effectively gets rid of allergens
- Replaces odor with a fresh scent
- Easy to use
- Lightweight – easy to travel with
- Compatible with any 110-volt outlet
- Has a filter change reminder
- Has a soothing night light
- The night light is irritating for some users
6. PURE Car Air Purifier 3-in-1 Purifier, Ionizer & Charger
If you are looking for the best plugin air purifier for your car, you just found one. The PURE Car Air Purifier 3-in-1 combines several functions. Firstly, it charges smart devices four times faster and is designed with a 3.0 USB port.
Also, it works as a car charger and has 2 USB ports. This is the only unit in the market designed to combine USB charging, air purification, and deodorization. The PURE Car Air Purifier 3-in-1 is also efficient at eradicating cigarette smoke, cooking fumes, pet odor, and bathroom smell leaving behind a fresh lemon scent.
Besides, the PURE Car Air Purifier 3-in-1 Purifier was designed with modern automobiles in mind whether big or small. It purifies with over 5.6 million negative ion concentrations thus achieving the highest possible efficiency in air purification. This unit’s powerful ionization eliminates viruses, bacteria, formaldehyde, and VOCs (volatile organic compounds).
- Weight: 0.493 ounces
- Dimensions: 5.5 x 3.2 x 1.7 inches
- Coverage: N/S
- Smart devices charger
- Car charger
- 12v plugin unit
- Designed for all car types
- Adapts to any car model
- Doubles as a car charger and a smart devices charger
- Removes odors efficiently
- The air purifier gets rid of allergens such as dust and pollen
- It’s economical – has no maintenance costs such as filter change
- Durable – has a metal housing
- Has a fresh lemon scent
- Simple and decent design
- 1-year warranty
- Slightly expensive compared to peer devices
- Drains the car’s battery
- Ozone emission
7. O3 Pure AAP 50 Plug-In Adjustable Ionic Room Air Purifier
The O3 Pure AAP 50 Plug-In Adjustable Ionic Room Air Purifier is another gadget that ranks among the best plug-in air purifiers for bacteria and viruses. You can adjust the unit between low, medium, and high operating settings but it works exemplary well on its low setting.
We love this O3 Pure for its quiet operation. It’s a perfect unit for nurseries, bathrooms, and bedrooms. The unit is designed for rooms not exceeding 150 sq. ft. Also, we recommend its use since it doesn’t emit any chemicals. The AAP 50 has a one-year warranty so you are covered for any technical challenges.
Besides, it has a unique feature as it is designed with a fan system that is hand-oiled. This feature sets it apart from peer plug-in air purifiers. Further, we appreciate its small size and how easy it is to adjust purification.
- Weight: 6.4 ounces.
- Dimensions: 1.97 x 4.09 x 3.54 inches
- Maximum area coverage: 150 sq. ft.
- Hand oiled fan system
- Adjustable Ozone levels
- Quiet operation
- Not expensive
- Deodorizes smelly rooms efficiently
- Operates quietly
- Freedom to adjust Ozone concentration
- It has optional purification settings – low, medium, and high
- Low maintenance – no replaceable filter
- Light and easily portable
- Delicate – it can be easily damaged thus needs to be handled with care
- The fan needs to be oiled. Failure to oil may make it produce a high-pitched sound
8. GreenTech Environmental pureAir 50 – Small Space Plug-in Air Purifier & Air Cleaner
The GT pureAir 50 is also one of the best plugin air purifiers on the market today. The unit sanitizes air within a radius of 325 sq. ft. Besides, the device is a reliable odor remover and gets rid of other pollutants such as dust, mold, and viruses.
Further, the clean, simple but sleek design makes it suitable for any room. It blends in easily with the decor in your rooms. Similar to other GreenTech Environmental plug-in air purifiers, there is no setup process. You just plug it in and start the purification process. Also, the GT pureAir 50’s lightweight feature makes it a perfect travel companion.
- Weight: 6.35 ounces
- Dimensions: 2.5 x 3.5 x 4.25 inches
- Maximum area covered: 325 sq. ft.
- Doesn’t use filters
- Power consumption: 3.0 watts
- Effective purification combo of an ionizer and activated oxygen
- Ionizer helps to kill viruses and bacteria
- Minimizes allergy reactions by removing allergens
- Simple, sleek design
- Easy to use
- Gets rid of smoke and unwanted odors
- Whisper quiet
- Low maintenance
- Emits ozone which may have negative health effects
9. EdenPURE OxiLeaf Plug-in Adjustable Air Purifier
Lastly, the EdenPURE OxiLeaf is another reliable plug-in air purifier. The unit purifies air by releasing ions to remove pollutants and clear the air. Also, it’s a powerful allergens remover and works rapidly to deliver pure and fresher air. However, the EdenPURE OxiLeaf plug-in air purifier produces a chemical (bleach-like) smell that may be irritating for some users.
Further, the unit is a compact, easy to plug CETL approved air purifier weighing about 7.5 ounces. It rapidly removes pet odors, bathroom, cigarette, and toxic carbon odors making it a reliable help in fighting respiratory challenges such as asthma. Also, it’s a small-sized unit thus preferred for travel.
- Weight: 7.5 ounces
- Dimensions: 5.94 x 5.31 x 2.76 inches
- Has no filter
- Odor eradicator
- Mimics nature in the natural ways of making ions
- Compact design – lightweight and easily portable
- Excellent at eradicating odors from the source
- Kills bacteria, viruses, and other allergens such as mold and mildew
- Allows Ozone adjustment
- No noise pollution
- Economical – no filters to replace
- Energy efficient
- Lightweight and easy to carry and use
- Highly-priced as compared to its peers
- Several consumers have raised concerns about its chemical odor
Best plug-in air purifiers buyer’s guide
This guide will help affirm your choice and help you to understand plug-in air purifiers better and also enable you to maintain them better.
In general, plug-in air purifiers feature a minimalist design. They will hardly have any filters owing to their compact design. Here are the most important points to note regarding a plug-in air purifier.
Why you need a plug-in air purifier
Ease of use
Most conventional air purifiers are not as user-friendly especially in terms of weight, storage, and maintenance. Plug-in air purifiers don’t feature filters thus need minimal or no maintenance. Also, they don’t require storage, power cables, or other accessories.
Also, moving it from one room to another is easy. Besides, they remain efficient as long as the maximum room area recommended is observed. So, this is a key consideration when shopping for the best plug-mount air purifier.
Light and easily portable
The best plug-in air purifiers only need to be plugged into the power source to start working. Within a short period, you begin to notice the change in air quality. That’s why they are recommended for frequent travelers. You are guaranteed of fresh air wherever you are without any inconveniences.
Unlike conventional air purifiers, plug-in units consume minimal energy. Most of the devices range below ten watts thus may not have a significant impact on your power bills.
How plug-in air purifiers function
Most of the plug-in air purifiers discussed above utilize Ionization and UV C treatment. Ionizing involves releasing negative ions into the air to purify it. Ionizing as a purification process is alleged to be unsafe. However, that’s not always true. Ionic air purifiers have an ozone production limit of 0.05 ppm (parts per million). The best plug-in air purifiers are way below this limit. Any approved unit will have its PPM rating indicated under specifications.
UV C light technology complements the ionization process. It uses a UV C bulb (replaced annually or bi-annually) to get rid of bacteria and viruses. Unfortunately, this process does not get rid of other allergens such as dust or pollen. This is one of the disadvantages of using plug-in air purifiers.
Where to station your plug-in air purifier
The plug-in air purifiers are small-sized units meant to save you from the weighty, whole-room purifiers that are probably energy guzzlers. We recommend you plug-in where pollutants are most rampant. These areas include the pets’ playpen, bathrooms, the nursery, compact study or working areas, and the kitchen.
Most plug-in air purifiers come in compact sizes but deliver epic results. This review explores some of the best units in the market currently. Among these nine units, we believe that the GermGuardian GG1000 tops the list. It’s one of the best plug-in air purifiers with UV-C Sanitizer & Deodorizer.
Besides, the GG1000 covers an area of up to 100 sq. ft. it’s easy to use and energy-efficient. Also, the unit requires no maintenance except for UV C bulb replacement that is done once or twice per year depending on the intensity of use.
For an air purifier this small, GermGuardian GG1000 delivers beyond expectations and lasts much longer than its peers. Feel confident purchasing it today for its superb ability to kill bacteria and viruses.
The review above discusses the best plug-in air purifiers in the market today. The thorough review will make it easy for you to choose the best plug-in air purifier that suits your individual needs. In summary, these are the best plugin air purifiers in 2021:
- GermGuardian GG1000 Pluggable UV-C Sanitizer and Deodorizer
- GermGuardian GG1100W Elite Pluggable UVC Air Sanitizer and Deodorizer Air Purifier
- GreenTech Environmental GT50 Professional-Grade Portable Advanced Air Purification System
- Plixio PLX50 Portable Odor Eliminating Plug-in Ionic Air Purifier & Ozone Generator for Home or Office
- Hamilton Beach TrueAir Plug-Mount Odor Eliminator Nightlight with Carbon Filter (04531GM)
- PURE Car Air Purifier 3-in-1 Purifier, Ionizer & Charger
- O3 Pure AAP 50 Plug-In Adjustable Ionic Room Air Purifier
- GreenTech Environmental pureAir 50 – Small Space Plug-in Air Purifier & Air Cleaner
- EdenPURE OxiLeaf Plug-in Adjustable Air Purifier