What’s the best air purifier for kitchen odors?
Kitchen odors, though not necessarily unpleasant can linger for hours after cooking or cleaning. It is worse if your kitchen has poor ventilation. The odor sticks to your clothes, seats, curtains, and other items. Kitchen air purifiers are essential for eliminating these odors in home kitchens as well as restaurant kitchens.
Besides, the best air purifier for kitchen smells is equipped to capture floating particles, vapors, gases, and other volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Also, they rid your kitchen off sticky oils, smoke, cooking fumes, and other odors from the dust bin and sink.
In our quest for the best air purifier for kitchens, we prioritized air purifiers with great filtration, odor elimination ability, and easy maintenance. In this review, we list eight of the best air purifiers for kitchen fumes.
Further, we delve into their features, as well as the pros and cons. Also, we share a brief buyer’s guide to help you make the best decision.
- A Comparison of the Best Kitchen Air Purifiers
- Best Air Purifier for Kitchen: Reviews
- 1. Blueair Blue Pure 211+ Air Purifier
- 2. LEVOIT H13 Air Purifier for Home (LV-PUR131)
- 3. Honeywell HPA250B Bluetooth Smart True HEPA Allergen Remover
- 4. Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA
- 5. Hathaspace HSP001 5-in-1 Smart True HEPA Air Purifier
- 6. Dyson Pure Hot + Cool Air Purifier (HP04)
- 7. Oransi EJ120 HEPA Air Purifier with Carbon Filter
- 8. BISSELL 2780A MYair Purifier
- The best air purifier for kitchen odors buying guide
- Our Verdict
A Comparison of the Best Kitchen Air Purifiers
Before we review each product, here is a breakdown of the main features of our top picks:
|Best Air Purifier for Kitchen||Filtration||Coverage||Weight|
|1. Blueair Blue Pure 211+|
|HEPASilent||540 sq. ft.||13 lbs|
|2. LEVOIT H13 (LV-PUR131)||True HEPA||300 sq. ft.||11.24 lbs|
|3. Honeywell HPA250B||True HEPA||310 sq. ft.||14.4 lbs|
|4. Winix 5300-2||True HEPA||360 sq. ft.||17.66 lbs|
|5. Hathaspace HSP001||True HEPA||350 sq. ft.||12 lbs|
|6. Dyson Pure Hot + Cool (HP04)||HEPA||290 sq. ft.||19.14 lbs|
|7. Oransi EJ120||HEPA||1250 sq. ft.||24 lbs|
|8. BISSELL 2780A MYair||HEPA||100 sq. ft.||4.63 lbs|
Best Air Purifier for Kitchen: Reviews
There are many options to pick from, but after thorough research, we have narrowed down to the top 8 contenders. So, you’ll be able to make a great decision quite fast. These are the best air purifiers for kitchen odors and fumes in 2023:
1. Blueair Blue Pure 211+ Air Purifier
If you are looking for the best air purifier for kitchen fumes, the Blue Pure 211+ makes a suitable choice. It is equipped with activated carbon filter – an efficient filter for eradicating VOCs, smoke, and other irritant odors from kitchen fumes, detergents, and vents.
Besides, the Blue Pure 211+ uses a machine- washable pre-filter to capture larger particles. The air purifier is rated by energy star as one of the lowest energy consumption units consuming 30-60 watts. The only compromise is that it’s relatively louder than its peers as the noise ranges between 31 and 56 decibels.
Further, we love the air purifier’s compact design and portability. Also, the Blue Pure 211+ filters air up to 5 times in small and medium-size kitchens with a maximum area of 540 sq. ft.
- Weight: 13 pounds
- Dimensions: 13 x 13 x 20.4 Inches
- HEPASilent filtration technology
- Machine-washable pre-filter
- Activated carbon filter
- Maximum room coverage is up to 540 sq. ft.
- Noise levels 31 decibels on low setting and 56 decibels on the highest setting
- Energy consumption: 30-60 Watts
- CADR rating – 350 cubic ft. per min
- 99% allergen capture using Swedish Filter Technology
- Efficient at odor elimination using an activated carbon filter
- Fairly quiet – operates between 31 to 56 decibels
- Sleek Swedish design that blends easily with already existing décor
- Energy-efficient – Energy star rated and AHAM certified
- Draws air from all sides
- 1-year limited warranty (2 years where the unit is registered via Blueair)
- Relatively loud compared to its peers
2. LEVOIT H13 Air Purifier for Home (LV-PUR131)
The Ozone free LEVOIT H13 air purifier ranks as one of the best air purifiers for kitchen odors for its 3-stage filtration technology, quiet operation, and energy efficiency. Additionally, the LEVOIT H13 air purifier is a light and compact unit making it easy to move and place where fumes are concentrated.
Besides, the LEVOIT H13 air purifier serves kitchens averaging 300 square feet and has automatic settings to help sense the air quality and adjust the fan speed settings as needed. It’s also the best air purifier for smoke in the market currently.
Below is a summary of its main features.
- Weight: 11.24 pounds
- Dimensions: 14.5 x 7.2 x 18.5 Inches
- 3-stage air filtration comprising of a pre-filter, True HEPA filter, and an activated carbon filter
- 3- Fan speed settings
- Maximum area covered – 300 sq. ft.
- Power consumption – 40 Watts
- Noise levels – 52 decibels on the highest setting
- CADR rating – 135 CFM
- Automatic air quality sensor that auto-adjusts fan speed to match the current air quality
- The LED display informs you of the room’s air quality
- Has activated carbon filter
- Ideal for allergy sufferers – offers 99.97% allergen eradication using HEPA filters
- Allows you to set the time between 1 and 12 hours
- Automatically senses air quality and adjusts the fan speed to improve the air quality round the clock
- Alerts you of the room’s air quality using the LED indicator
- Eradicates odors efficiently using an activated carbon filter
- 2-years warranty plus lifetime support
- Has sleep-mode setting for undisturbed sleep
- Considerably loud on high setting
3. Honeywell HPA250B Bluetooth Smart True HEPA Allergen Remover
The Honeywell HPA250B air purifier perfectly suits medium-sized kitchens. It serves spaces not exceeding 310 sq. ft. Also, the air purifier is a smart, Bluetooth enabled unit thus can be paired with your phone for easier operation.
Besides, the Honeywell HPA250B applies HEPA filtration to capture allergens such as mold, pollen, pet dander, smoke, dust, and other microscopic agents with an impressive 99.97% allergen capturing success rate. It changes air five times every hour and has automatic VOC sensors.
- Weight: 14.4 pounds
- Dimensions: 17.72 x 10.05 x 18.86 Inches
- Uses pre-filter (for larger particles), and True HEPA filter
- Bluetooth enabled
- Has a timer – 1 to 18 hours
- CADR – 180 CFM for smoke and pollen, 190 for dust
- Area coverage – 310 sq. ft. Max
- Dimmer – turns off or dims light as desired
- Air change – 5 times every hour
- VOC sensor – automatically senses room VOC levels and adjusts operation to match the air quality
- Has filter change reminders
- It’s a smart device – you enjoy the convenience of operating it using your phone
- Has over 99.9% allergy capturing success rate
- Has a timer that can be set between 1 and 18 hours
- Filter change indicators for each filter
- Circulates air 5 times hourly
- Works effectively on the floor and on a desktop
- Relatively high maintenance cost. The pre-filter requires frequent change (every 3 months).
4. Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA
The Winix 5300-2 air purifier applies PlasmaWave technology to effectively get rid of airborne allergens from your kitchen. Besides, it uses a pre-filter, and True HEPA filter. The PlasmaWave serves as a permanent filter and is efficient at breaking down odors from cooking fumes, chemicals, fuel smoke, as well as other pollutants.
Likewise, the Winix 5300-2 delivers airflow rates at 236 CFM and is suitable for medium and large kitchens not exceeding 360 sq. ft.
- Weight: 17.66 pounds
- Dimensions: 14.9 x 7.8 x 23.6 Inches
- Coverage – 360 sq. ft.
- Uses pre-filter, PlasmaWave (as a permanent filter), and True HEPA filter
- Has an automatic air quality sensor
- 4 fan speed settings
- Has filter change indicators
- Has an air quality indicator
- Serves larger kitchens of up to 360 sq. ft.
- Fairly quiet – averages 27.8 decibels on low setting
- Alerts you when to change filters
- Speed settings have the option of manual setting or can be on automatic mode
- You enjoy Ozone-free air cleaning
- Achieves over 99.9% allergens eradication
- 2-year warranty
- CARB certified
- Relatively heavy – not easy to move around
5. Hathaspace HSP001 5-in-1 Smart True HEPA Air Purifier
The Hathaspace HSP001 is a good air purifier for a kitchen because it cleans the indoor air up to 48 times daily. It applies a 5-level purification system featuring a Cold catalyst Filter, True HEPA filter, Ionizer, a Cellular Activated Carbon Filter, and an Antibacterial filter. This unit serves medium and large rooms averaging 350 sq. ft.
Besides, the Hathaspace HSP001 is remote controlled and can also be set on automatic mode. Although it uses an Ionizer, the unit is CARB certified as safe so you can use it without worrying about it triggering allergies.
- Weight: 12 pounds
- Dimensions: 13.5 x 7 x 19.5 Inches
- 5-in-1 purification system featuring a cold catalyst, activated carbon, antibacterial, ionizer, and True HEPA filters
- Maximum coverage – 350 sq. ft.
- Noise Level ranges between 21 decibels and 43 decibels
- Remote controlled
- Sleep mode function
- CADR rating of 160CBM/hour
- Eradicates 99.97% of allergens using a 5-in-1 purification system
- Cleans air twice every hour in rooms measuring 350 sq. ft. and below
- Impressively quiet – operates at 21 decibels on low setting and 43 decibels on high setting
- Has a timer setting for 1 to 12 hours
- Fairly priced for considering its quality
- Sleek and unique appearance
- Effectively eliminates odor from cooking fumes, chemicals, and VOCs
- CE, CB, and RoHS certified
- Relatively weak – the unit body feels delicate
- It has four physical filters to install so the user needs to be keen. The manual is a must use when installing.
6. Dyson Pure Hot + Cool Air Purifier (HP04)
The Dyson Pure HP04 is an excellent choice for a kitchen air purifier because of its key air purification features. This 2-in-1 unit works as a cooler during summer, a heater in the winter season, and it purifies air throughout. Also, Dyson uses a technology dabbed multiplier technology plus 350 degrees oscillation to circulate air in your home.
Besides, Dyson Pure HP04 stands out as one of the best air purifiers for kitchen fumes because apart from being multi-functional, it’s equipped with 2 filters, an activated carbon filter, and a HEPA filter. This ensures it captures almost 100% of allergens down to 0.3 microns.
- Weight: 19.14 pounds
- Dimensions: 9.76 x 8.07 x 30.08 Inches
- Efficiently serves 290 sq. ft. rooms
- Filtration: Activated carbon filter and HEPA filter
- Automatically senses air quality and adjusts fan speeds to facilitate purification
- Wi-Fi compatible – users connect to the unit and control it remotely as well as access real-time reports.
- Alexa voice control
- Dyson Pure HP04 is a multi-functional unit. It works as a heater, a cooler, and an air purifier
- It efficiently removes kitchen odors using activated carbon filters
- Achieves almost 100% allergen capture success using a HEPA filter
- Uses air multiplier technology to deliver close to 77 gallons of clean air every second
- Has an LCD screen for air quality
- Uses an automatic sensor to rate the air quality and adjust the fan speed to initiate the purification
- Users can create schedules, access real-time updates, and remotely operate Dyson Pure HP04 using the Dyson Link app
- Relatively heavy – at 19 pounds, some users may find it hard to move around
7. Oransi EJ120 HEPA Air Purifier with Carbon Filter
The Oransi EJ120 air purifier will practically serve the whole house even when strategically placed to get rid of odors from your kitchen. This is guaranteed by its capacity to serve large areas measuring up to 1250 sq. ft. The huge coverage makes it the best air purifier for restaurant kitchens.
Unlike most air purifiers, Oransi EJ120 uses two filters, one is one inch activated carbon filter (deep pleated), and the other is a HEPA filter, three-inch deep. Owing to these filters, this unit is by far the best air purifier for kitchen odors. It effectively eradicates smoke, cooking fumes, gas odors, as well as other allergens.
- Weight: 24 pounds
- Dimensions: 17 x 10 x 19 Inches
- Uses 2 filters – HEPA Filter (MERV 17), and Activated Carbon (3.5 lbs.)
- Estimated area covered – 1250 sq. ft.
- Power: 52 Watts
- Superb filtration
- Serves large areas – up to 1250 sq. ft.
- Commendably quiet
- Easy to use digital controls
- High quality and firm build (made in the USA with motors imported from Germany)
- The filters last up to 12 months
- 10 years warranty
- Quite heavy – hard to move alone
- Not compact – uses much more space
- No night light function
8. BISSELL 2780A MYair Purifier
The BISSELL 2780A is a small but powerful air purifier perfect for small kitchens not exceeding 100 sq. ft. It’s impressively quiet whether on low or high fan speed and has an additional setting that is extremely quiet – BISSELL refers to as sleep fan speed. This is one of the features that qualify this unit to rank among the best air purifiers for kitchen fumes.
Additionally, the BISSELL 2780A has a 3-stage filtration process featuring a combination of pre-filter, an activated carbon filter, and the True HEPA filter. The pre-filter captures the larger particles and makes it easier for the HEPA filter to capture over 99.9% of allergens. Further, the Activated carbon filter takes care of all the cooking fumes, smoke, VOCs
- Weight: 4.63 pounds
- Dimensions: 8.27 x 8.27 x 12.2 Inches
- 3-in-1 filtration process using pre-filter, activated carbon filter, and HEPA filter
- Sleep mode option with night light feature
- Recommended area – 100 sq. ft.
- Filter change indicator
- Whisper-quiet operation
- Lightweight, compact, and highly portable
- Reliable at odor elimination
- Night light has on/off option
- Ozone free
- The air intake is dual-sided
- Easy maintenance and operation
- 1 year limited warranty
- Not suitable for large kitchens
The best air purifier for kitchen odors buying guide
Choosing a kitchen air purifier is quite challenging because of all the options available. With our modern-day houses, our kitchens have a myriad of designs. The size may be our only reliable feature while choosing a unit. That notwithstanding, the following information will be helpful while making your purchase.
Activated Carbon (Charcoal) Filter
We have previously emphasized the importance of choosing an air purifier with HEPA filters to ensure the efficient capturing of all allergens. We still maintain that HEPA filters are crucial in eliminating pollutants. However, when tackling kitchen odors, activated carbon filters are extremely beneficial.
To keep your kitchen smelling fresh after cooking or cleaning, activated carbon filters help to quickly and effectively get rid of VOCs and kitchen fumes. PlasmaWave technology may also serve as an alternative.
Air Quality Sensors
We consider this a crucial feature because manually changing settings can be disruptive especially while cooking and handling other tasks. Also, one can easily forget. The automatic sensors do the crucial work of testing the air quality and automatically adjusting the fan speed settings to ensure you are breathing quality air in your kitchen and the whole house in general.
One key mistake consumers make is to assume other features such as good Air Delivery Rate mostly referred to as CADR can compensate for Air Quality sensors. These two are totally different. The CADR rating is based on particles, not odors. However, it’s also good to check it out because the higher the CADR rating the quicker the unit picks up allergens.
This needs no explanation. Just imagine the convenience of having a unit you can move around whenever you need to. Some units can be used both on the floor and on the kitchen desk and that’s a huge plus.
Noise levels are measured using decibels, the higher the decibels the more the noise that the unit makes. This may not be an issue while cooking but it is definitely unpleasant and irritating to have a unit that roars like an engine in the kitchen.
Cost in this case means the overall cost of owning the kitchen air purifier. Don’t concentrate too much on the buying price. Consider other costs as power utilization. Air purifiers are mostly on round the clock so you must buy one that is energy efficient. You will notice some units are energy Star rated for great energy consumption.
Filter replacement is another crucial cost. You may buy a unit at a budget price but end up using an equal amount of money on annual filter replacements.
The CARB certified, Energy Star rated, and AHAM verified Blueair Blue Pure 211+ Air Purifier got our vote for the best air purifier for kitchen odors. In this review, we listed only the best and most efficient air purifiers for kitchen use, and Blueair Blue Pure 211+ Air Purifier beat the rest in terms of efficiency and energy consumption.
Considering it serves rooms as large as 540 sq. ft. and only consumes 30 – 60 watts, that’s quite commendable. It also cleans air 5 times each hour thus completely getting rid of kitchen odors in a short time. There is one shortcoming though, it is relatively loud. Its noise level can go up to 56 decibels on a high setting.
In terms of cost, Blue Pure 211+ is also easily maintained. The pre-filter is machine washable while the carbon filter lasts up to 6 months depending on your environment. The unit is also fairly priced considering its quality.
In summary, these are the best air purifiers for kitchen in 2023:
- Blueair Blue Pure 211+ Air Purifier
- LEVOIT H13 Air Purifier for Home (LV-PUR131)
- Honeywell HPA250B Bluetooth Smart True HEPA Allergen Remover
- Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA
- Hathaspace HSP001 5-in-1 Smart True HEPA Air Purifier
- Dyson Pure Hot + Cool Air Purifier (HP04)
- Oransi EJ120 HEPA Air Purifier with Carbon Filter
- BISSELL 2780A MYair Purifier