Pet odors are pesky and can make a house inhabitable. Cat litter odor especially spreads fast and remains in the air for long. But that should not keep you from owning cats.
There is a variety of air purifiers that can help you enjoy having pets and at the same time enjoy clean air. One unique and consistent feature with the best air purifiers for pet odor is the use of HEPA filters. At the end of this review, we will discuss why a HEPA filter is essential for air purification.
- Best Air Purifier for Cat Litter Odor: Comparison Table
- Reviews of the Best Air Purifiers for Cat Litter Odor in 2020
- 1. Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier with True HEPA
- 2. Winix HR900 Ultimate Pet 5 Stage True HEPA Filtration Air Purifier
- 3. SilverOnyx Air Purifier
- 4. Germ Guardian True HEPA Filter Air Purifier for Home (AC5250PT)
- 5. Hamilton Beach TrueAir Air Purifier for Home or Office (04384)
- 6. Enther AP1C Air Purifier with True HEPA Filter
- 7. Pure Enrichment PureZone Air Purifier
- 8. Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0 Ultra Quiet HEPA Air Purifier (SPA-625A)
- 9. Aviano AV890 7-in-1 Smart Home Air Purifier
- Benefits of using an air purifier equipped with a HEPA filter
- Other ways of getting rid of cat litter odor
Best Air Purifier for Cat Litter Odor: Comparison Table
In the next section, we discuss the crème de la crème of cat litter odor purifiers.
But first, if you are looking for the best air purifier to eliminate cat litter odor, here is a sneak peek at our list of the top air purifiers to help you tackle cat litter odor:
|1. Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier|
|True HEPA||361 sq. ft.||12.35 lbs.|
|2. Winix HR900 Ultimate Pet||True HEPA||300 sq. ft.||18.7 lbs.|
|3. SilverOnyx Air Purifier||True HEPA||500 sq. ft.||5.35 lbs.|
|4. Germ Guardian Air Purifier (AC5250PT)||True HEPA||180 sq. ft.||10.55 lbs.|
|5. Hamilton Beach TrueAir Air Purifier (04384)||HEPA||140 sq.ft.||6.3 lbs.|
|6. Enther AP1C Air Purifier||True HEPA||376 sq. ft.||3.7 lbs.|
|7. Pure Enrichment PureZone Air Purifier||True HEPA||200 sq. ft.||6 lbs.|
|8. Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0 Ultra Quiet Air Purifier (SPA-625A)||HEPA||625 sq. ft.||16.8 lbs.|
|9. Aviano AV890 7-in-1 Smart Home Air Purifier||HEPA||350 sq. ft.||13.3 lbs.|
Reviews of the Best Air Purifiers for Cat Litter Odor in 2020
For cat lovers, only the best accessories and appliances will do. So, when looking for an air purifier, it’s wise to select one that is not only good for humans but also pet-friendly. Below, we discuss the best air purifiers for cat litter odor in 2020:
1. Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier with True HEPA
Among the 4 filters Coway Mighty AP-1512HH has, is a deodorization filter.
This filter effectively gets rid of any type of odor whether cat litter odor, smoke odor, firewood, or cigarette. It’s the reason Coway Mighty AP-1512HH ranks among the best air purifiers for cat litter odor.
Additional filters include pre-filter; which mainly captures the larger particles, vital ion filter, which removes particles in the air by producing electrochemical reactions, and HEPA filter.
Also, this air purifier has 3 fan settings that you can manually set. It also has an auto mode, where the fan automatically adjusts to match the air quality.
If the air remains consistently clean for 30 minutes, the air purifier shuts and switches to eco-mode to save energy. Besides, the Coway Mighty AP-1512HH is a fairly quiet air purifier that serves small and medium rooms not exceeding 361 sq. ft.
- Weight: 12.35 pounds
- Eco mode – auto-switches after 30 minutes of consistent clean air
- Area coverage – up to 361 sq. ft.
- 3 manual fan settings
- 4-stage filtration system
- CADR: Smoke-233, Dust-246, Pollen-240cb. ft.
- LED lights different colors to indicate the air quality
- Alerts for filter change
- Timed shutdown – Runs for 1hr, 4hrs, and 8hrs.
- 9% air purification efficiency using a HEPA filter
- Powerful 4-stage filtration
- Operates quietly – between 24.4 to 53.8 decibels
- A compact and sleek design fit for any environment
- Automatic air quality sensor automatically adjusts settings to match the room’s air quality
- Deodorization filter effectively gets rid of all the odor
- Saves energy using eco mode function
- Alerts when to change specific filters
- Manufacturer’s 3 years Limited Warranty for motor and electronic parts and 1 year for other functional parts.
- Inefficient in larger rooms
2. Winix HR900 Ultimate Pet 5 Stage True HEPA Filtration Air Purifier
The Winix HR900 air purifier serves small and medium rooms of up to 300 sq. ft. It’s a fairly durable appliance made of resin and plastic and equipped with smart sensors, and a 5-stage air purifying system.
These filters include a washable pre-filter, a pet filter, an advanced carbon (AOTCM) odor control filter, True HEPA filter, and Winix Plasma Wave Technology.
Also, the Winix HR900 is the ultimate air purifier for pet lovers. Using an advanced carbon filter, Winix HR900 has a commendable ability to get rid of cat odor emanating from litter.
It’s equipped with True HEPA and plasma wave technologies, both that destroy odors, chemical vapors, allergens, and other pollutants.
- Weight: 18.7 pounds
- 5-stage filtration – washable pre-filter, AOCTM, carbon filter, True HEPA, and Plasma wave technology
- Area coverage – 300 sq. ft.
- Sleep mode function
- Effective cat odor elimination
- Has a smart sensor
- 9% efficiency using 5-stage filtration and HEPA filter
- Automatic settings make it convenient to operate
- Efficient at picking pet hair thus minimizing allergies
- Not easily maintained – It has 3 replaceable filters, 1 filter replaced monthly
3. SilverOnyx Air Purifier
The SilverOnyx Air Purifier combines multiple technologies to deliver 99.97% clean air. It’s equipped with a 5-stage filtration system and has True HEPA for capturing the tiniest of particles up to 0.3 microns.
Also, the air filter is equipped with a carbon filter for cat litter odor elimination, a UV sanitizer, and an ionizer to sanitize the air.
Besides, the SilverOnyx Air Purifier serves effectively up to 500 sq. ft. It’ a good companion for a home with pets because of its smart settings. The air purifier automatically adjusts the fan depending on air quality and indicates on the LED display.
Lastly, its compact design also makes it a great travel appliance.
- Weight: 5.35 pounds
- 5-level effective filtration with a pre-filter, True HEPA H13, charcoal filter, UV-C, and Ionizer
- Uses carbon filter for odor elimination
- Area coverage: up to 500 sq. ft.
- Sleek and compact design
- Auto-detects air quality displays with different lighting and adjusts fan speed
- It serves larger rooms of up to 500 sq. ft.
- True HEPA filtration enables efficient filtration down to 0.3 microns
- Kills germs and viruses from the air using the air sanitizer and ionizer
- Compact and portable
- Automatically modifies the fan speed depending on the air quality
- Relatively loud on high setting
4. Germ Guardian True HEPA Filter Air Purifier for Home (AC5250PT)
Equipped with UV C light technology, the Germ Guardian air purifier uses Titanium Dioxide to get rid of all germs, viruses, bacteria, and mold spores.
Additionally, the air purifier is armed with HEPA technology which efficiently captures up to 99.97% of airborne allergens. Besides, the filter has added Pet Pure antimicrobial agent that aids in inhibiting the growth of bacteria, mold, and mildew.
Further, the Germ Guardian’s charcoal filter makes it the best air purifier to eliminate cat litter odor. Likewise, it helps to reduce cigarette smoke, wildfire smoke, and cooking fumes.
With a CADR rating of 126-dust, 128-pollen, and 116-smoke, this is a must-have unit. It’s a compact design, 28 inches tall, and serves rooms measuring 180 sq. ft. and below.
- Weight: 10.55 pounds
- Filtration technology – charcoal filter, True HEPA, and UV C
- Area coverage – 180 sq. ft.
- CADR rating – 128-pollen, 126-dust, and 116-smoke
- Compact – 28 inch tall
- Filter change – 6-8 months – one filter only
- Filters four times or more hourly
- Effectively eliminates cat litter odor alongside other odors
- Light and portable
- 9% efficiency using a HEPA filter
- Eliminates germs, bacteria, and viruses using UV C light
- Gets rid of smoke and other allergens
- The filter reminder helps maintain the air purifier operating optimally
- Sleek design that blends well with furniture
- Exposure to UV C needs to be regularized.
5. Hamilton Beach TrueAir Air Purifier for Home or Office (04384)
Cat litter odor is stubborn and can linger for a long time. The Hamilton Beach 04384 air purifier provides 2 carbon zeolite filters to consistently get rid of the entire odor.
There are 2 additional filters, a permanent pre-filter for capturing larger particles, and a HEPA-grade filter for tinier particles. These permanent filters are maintained by regular vacuuming.
Further, the Hamilton Beach 04384 air purifier serves perfectly in any environment since it’s ultra-quiet and compact. It also has 3 fan speed settings and can work horizontally or vertically. Lastly, it serves rooms not exceeding 140 sq. ft.
- Weight: 6.3 pounds
- Filtration: 3 stages using 2 zeolite filters, a HEPA and a pre-filter
- Filter replacement – every 3 months for the zeolite filters only (with reminder). The HEPA filter and Pre-filter are permanent
- Serves 140 sq. ft. and below
- Compact and light
- Serves horizontally and vertically
- 3-speed settings
- Zeolite filters enhance odor elimination efficiency
- Easy maintenance – HEPA filter and Pre-filter do not require replacement
- Compact size, suitable for any environment
- Efficient at allergen capturing – over 99.9% efficiency using HEPA filters
- Versatile – works vertically and horizontally
- Serves small areas
6. Enther AP1C Air Purifier with True HEPA Filter
One of the reasons we consider the Enther AP1C as one of the best air purifiers to eliminate cat litter odor is that apart from removing pesky cat litter odor, it has an inbuilt aroma box.
This box releases relaxation scents that circulate together with the clean air from the air purifier. These essential oils not only improve the air quality but are also useful for aromatherapy which boosts health quality.
Also, while using the 3-stage filtration system, the Enther AP1C eliminates airborne allergens like pet hair, pollen, dust, smoke, mold, and others. The HEPA filter achieves over 99.9% filtration efficiency.
Lastly, it serves small and medium rooms up to 376 sq. ft. and is 100% ozone free
- Weight: 3.7 pounds
- 3-stage filtration – pre-filter, activated carbon filter, and True HEPA filter
- Recommended for small and medium rooms – up to 376 sq. ft.
- Inbuilt aroma box circulates relaxation scents from essential oils
- 3-fan speed settings
- Air quality smart-sensors with colored LED lights for varying air quality
- Leaves the air purifies and with a pleasant scent
- Serves larger rooms – up to 376 sq. ft.
- Auto-senses air quality. Indicates on LED lights and adjusts speed setting
- Quietly operates for a comfortable sleep
- Adjustable night light with on/off option
- Timed automatic power off after 1,4, or 8 hours to save energy
- Some users don’t appreciate the aroma
7. Pure Enrichment PureZone Air Purifier
The Pure Enrichment PureZone is a compact air purifier for small rooms, equipped with UV C and HEPA technology.
Both systems work at getting rid of allergens like pet dander, pollen, mold, and dust. UV C specifically destroys bacteria, fungi, and viruses. Using HEPA filtration, it achieves over 99.9% air purification efficiency.
Also, Pure Enrichment PureZone Air Purifier covers spaces up to 200 sq. ft. It’s easy to set up and although not as quiet as its peers, it’s considerably quiet at 30 decibels on a low setting.
Further, it has an optional timer that you can set to auto shut after running for 2, 4, or 8 hours.
- Weight: 6 pounds
- Optional automatic shut offset to 2, 4, or 8 hours
- Purification technology; True HEPA filter, UV C light
- Area coverage: 200 sq. ft. max
- Noise level: 30 decibels on low setting
- Light and easily portable
- Sleek design; easily blends with house décor
- Auto-shuts to save energy – can be set to run for 2,4, or 8 hours
- Relatively quiet
- 5-year warranty
- Excess exposure to UV C can be harmful to your health
8. Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0 Ultra Quiet HEPA Air Purifier (SPA-625A)
Since 2013, the Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0 air purifier has won three major awards for its design. It’s also Energy Star certified and stands out as the best air purifier for cat litter odor due to its highly efficient 4-stage purification system.
The first stage includes filtration of the larger particles by a permanent and washable pre-filter. Secondly, the HEPA filter takes over and captures allergens further down to 0.3 microns at a 99.97% efficiency rate.
Besides, the charcoal-based, high-grade activated carbon helps to effectively reduce all household odors while the negative ions consistently keep indoor air fresh.
Further, the BioGS SPA-625A air purifier runs twice per hour on high setting and is suitable for medium rooms up to 625 sq. ft. The device runs at five different speeds.
Lastly, the air purifier is ultra-quiet with noise levels ranging between 22.8 on low setting and 50.4 decibels on the highest setting.
- Weight: 16.8 pounds
- Filtration: 4-stage; pre-filter, HEPA filter, activated carbon filters, and negative Ion generator
- Remote controlled
- Power: 5 – 39 Watts
- Area covered: 625 sq. ft.
- Filter life: up to 18 months
- Smart operation – turns off light when idle (saves energy and minimizes light pollution)
- Ultra-quiet especially on low setting – averages 22.8 decibels
- Easily maintained – pre-filter is washable, HEPA filter and activated carbon filter can last up to three years
- Remote controlled
- 5 years warranty
- Has an award-winning design that blends easily in any setup
- Over 99.9% air purification efficiency with HEPA filter
- More filters to replace
9. Aviano AV890 7-in-1 Smart Home Air Purifier
The Aviano AV890 air purifier is a lightweight and compact unit recommended for 350 sq. ft. rooms. Owing to its 7-stage filtration system, this air purifier ranks among the best air purifiers for cat litter odor.
It has an aluminum (washable) pre-filter for large particles and an antibacterial filter that works together with the HEPA filter to capture all kinds of allergens.
Also, the Aviano AV890 air purifier works with a Nano-Cold Catalyst and activated carbon filter to get rid of any pending allergens, smoke, and odor.
Finally, it uses UV-C and Anion generator to kill germs. UV C takes care of all bacteria, germs, and viruses while the anion generator releases some negative ions that help to boost air quality.
- 7-stage filtration system: pre-filter, anti-bacterial filters, HEPA filter, Nano-Cold Catalyst, activated carbon, UV C, and Anion generator.
- Weight: 13.3 pounds
- 97 air purification efficiency enabled by HEPA filter
- Area coverage: 350 sq. ft.
- 3 fan speed settings
- Smart air quality sensors
- Light and compact
- Over 99.9% efficiency in air cleaning supported by HEPA filter
- Wide area coverage
- Effective air sanitization using UV C light
- Light and easily portable
- Sleek, unique design
- A great unit for smokers and pet owners, activated carbon effectively eliminates odors
- You have more filters to replace, although the pre-filter lengthens their lifespan
Benefits of using an air purifier equipped with a HEPA filter
You may have noticed that we have put a lot of emphasis on the use of HEPA filter and deliberately picked air purifiers equipped with a HEPA filter alongside other filters.
HEPA denotes High-Efficiency Particulate Air. It is an indication that an air purifier has fulfilled the efficiency level specifications set by the United States Department of Energy.
These standards indicate that an air purifier needs to have the capacity to get rid of 99% of air particulates or higher. The whole purpose of using an air purifier is to get rid of all allergens where possible. For example, there are air purifiers that help to eliminate mold and mildew.
Allergens like mold, pollen, pet hair, dust mites, cat litter, bacteria, and viruses could easily escape other filters but a HEPA filter has been proven to eliminate them.
The particles could be as small as 0.3 microns and can be airborne or harbored in area rugs, carpets, furniture, drapes, and curtains.
Other ways of getting rid of cat litter odor
- Frequent cleaning of bedding, carpets, pet habitats, and rugs
- Vacuuming furniture often especially if pets climb on them
- Keep pets outside the living area especially if you are allergic
- Finally, if allergies persist, replace carpets with hard floors
This list of air purifiers consists of some of the best air purifiers in the market. They are all very effective at removing annoying cat litter odors in homes. These air purifiers are a good choice for cat owners because they will enable them to keep their homes odor-free.
Coway has established itself as a distinguished brand for air purifiers so you can trust their products. The H series comes with several other purifiers but the Coway Mighty AP-1512HH stands out in terms of efficiency.
Although it’s small, it serves medium rooms efficiently and has smart features to make settings and maintenance easier. Coway Mighty AP-1512HH is also energy efficient. If it runs for 30 minutes in a clean environment, it automatically defaults to Eco mode to save energy.
Perhaps the most outstanding feature is the deodorization filter – a dedicated filter for removing odors.
If you are still deciding which air purifier to buy for cat litter odor elimination, Coway Mighty AP-1512HH is your best choice.
In summary, these are the best air purifiers for cat litter odor in 2020:
- Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier with True HEPA
- Winix HR900 Ultimate Pet 5 Stage True HEPA Filtration Air Purifier
- SilverOnyx Air Purifier
- Germ Guardian True HEPA Filter Air Purifier for Home (AC5250PT)
- Hamilton Beach TrueAir Air Purifier for Home or Office (04384)
- Enther AP1C Air Purifier with True HEPA Filter
- Pure Enrichment PureZone Air Purifier
- Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0 Ultra Quiet HEPA Air Purifier (SPA-625A)
- Aviano AV890 7-in-1 Smart Home Air Purifier