For a long time, indoor air filtration has been believed to be the only process that eliminates allergens and purifies the air. However, other technologies have been tested and proven equally efficient and even better at destroying microorganisms and sterilizing the air.
How do these technologies work? What are the benefits of filterless air purifiers? Well, that’s what we seek to find out in this review.
We also highlight the best filterless air purifiers in the market currently. We explore their features, pros, and cons and declare our verdict on the best filterless air purifier.
- Best Filterless Air Purifiers – Comparison Table
- Reviews of the Best Filterless Air Purifiers
- 1. Airfree P1000 Filterless Air Purifier
- 2. Airfree Onix 3000 Filterless Air Purifier
- 3. Ivation Ozone Generator Air Purifier, Ionizer & Deodorizer
- 4. Airfree Iris 3000 Filterless Air Purifier
- 5. Air Oasis 1000G3 Filterless Air Purifier with Ionizer
- 6. Airfree T800 Filterless Air Purifier
- 7. IonPacific ionbox Filterless Air Purifier & Ionizer
- 8. Airocide Filterless Air Purifier
- How do filterless air purifiers work?
- Why should you consider a filterless air purifier over an air purifier with a filter?
Best Filterless Air Purifiers – Comparison Table
Before we get into more details, here is an overview of the top 8 air purifiers without filters:
|Name||Air Cleaning Technology||Coverage|
|1. Airfree P1000|
|Thermodynamic Sterilization System (TSS) Technology||450 sq. ft.|
|2. Airfree Onix 3000||Thermodynamic Sterilization System (TSS) Technology||650 sq. ft.|
|3. Ivation Ozone Generator||Ionization technology||3,500 sq. ft.|
|4. Airfree Iris 3000||Thermodynamic Sterilization System (TSS) Technology||650 sq. ft.|
|5. Air Oasis 1000G3||AHPCO technology, Bi-polar ionization, and germicidal UVC||300 sq. ft.|
|6. Airfree T800||Thermodynamic Sterilization System (TSS) Technology||180 sq. ft.|
|7. IonPacific ionbox||Negative ion technology||500 sq. ft.|
|8. Airocide||Titanium coated catalyst||600 sq. ft.|
Reviews of the Best Filterless Air Purifiers
Here, we present a detailed analysis of 8 select products for anyone who doesn’t like the idea of filters. These are the best filterless air purifiers that you can buy in 2020:
1. Airfree P1000 Filterless Air Purifier
The Airfree P1000 uses the Patented Thermodynamic Sterilization System (TSS) Technology to destroy bacteria, viruses, pollen, dust mites, pet dander, mold, and mildew.
The TSS technology uses heat – a concept similar to boiling water to destroy any existing microorganisms.
Besides, the Airfree P1000 is known to achieve 100 % purification efficiency in rooms not exceeding 450 sq. ft. Further, the purifier is a completely silent device because it doesn’t use a fan.
- Weight: 3.1 pounds
- Dimensions: 8.4 x 8.4 x 10.4 inches
- Serves 450 sq. ft. and below
- 100% purification efficiency using the patented thermodynamic TSS technology
- Adjustable light
- Safe – does not emit ozone, ions, or UV light
- Operates quietly – no disturbed sleep
- Efficient at allergen elimination
- Light and easily portable
- Easy to maintain – no filter replacement
- Minimized energy consumption
- CARB certified
- You will need an extra unit for a large house or else keep moving it from room to room
2. Airfree Onix 3000 Filterless Air Purifier
Similarly, the Airfree Onix 3000 applies thermodynamic technology meaning that you have no filters to replace.
This purification process mimics boiling water and uses heat to get rid of mold, mildew, dust mites, pet dander, tobacco, viruses, and bacteria. Likewise, the Airfree Onix 3000 is completely silent because it doesn’t use fans.
Lastly, this air purifier is recommended for rooms measuring 650 sq. ft. and below.
- Weight: 3.1 pounds
- Dimensions: 8.4 x 8.4 x 10.4 inches
- Room size: 650 sq. ft. maximum
- Uses Thermodynamic TSS technology
- Adjustable night light
- No emission of UV light, ozone, or ions
- Energy saving
- Light – easy to move from room to room
- 100% efficiency at air purification
- It minimizes airborne infections by suppressing the multiplication of bacteria, viruses, and other allergens in the air
- The soothing adjustable night light makes it a suitable bedside lamp
- Higher energy consumption
3. Ivation Ozone Generator Air Purifier, Ionizer & Deodorizer
If you are looking for an air purifier that you can use at home and in the office, the Ivation Ozone Generator air purifier does a perfect job. It’s a 2-in-1 unit that uses ionization technology to cleanse the air for large rooms to a maximum of 3,500 sq. ft.
The Ivation Ozone Generator doubles as an air purifier and deodorizer leaving your home with clean and fresh air with nature’s scent. By releasing negative ions to the air, it destroys all the dust mites, mold, pollen, mildew, and other allergens.
See also: Best air purifier for baby
The air purifier also uses activated oxygen to remove food odors, cigarette odors, pets, and other household odors leaving distinct natural sensation.
- Weight: 9.82 pounds
- Dimensions: 12.5 x 11 x 15 inches
- 2-in-1 air purifier and deodorizer
- Coverage: large rooms – 3500 sq. ft.
- Casing: cherry wood and stainless steel
- Adjustable fan
- Fresh, clean, allergen-free air
- Effectively eliminates odors from cigarettes, pets, mold, paint, food, and other sources
- Fit for commercial and domestic use – Serves large rooms
- Dual-purpose – it purifies the air and eliminates odor at the same time
- The fan can be adjusted to the desired speed
- Large area coverage – up to 3500 sq. ft.
- Sleek and durable – made of stainless steel and stylish cherry wood
- Its ozone emission level is higher than the recommended 0.2mg per minute
4. Airfree Iris 3000 Filterless Air Purifier
The European-made Airfree Iris 3000 air purifier ranks as one of the best filterless air purifiers for its incredible ability to cleanse the air and get rid of disturbing odors.
It’s another completely silent device that serves small and medium rooms measuring up to 650 sq. ft. The air purifier is an efficient small-sized unit that you can carry along in when traveling.
Besides, the Airfree Iris 3000 applies Thermodynamic TSS Technology to get rid of dust, pollen, dust mites, mold, mildew, bacteria, viruses, plus the other allergens. The TSS Technology destroys microorganisms using heat and is believed to attain 100% efficiency.
- Weight: 3.5 pounds
- Dimensions: 8.5 x 8.5 x 10.4 inches
- Uses Thermodynamic technology
- Serves small and medium rooms up to 650 sq. ft.
- Ozone levels reduction
- Modifiable night light
- Easy to adjust night light
- Operates quietly
- Light and easily portable
- Easy maintenance – no filters to replace
- 100% efficiency – purifies air in small and large rooms
- Minimizes harmful ozone emissions
- The night light may be uncomfortable for some users
5. Air Oasis 1000G3 Filterless Air Purifier with Ionizer
The Air Oasis 1000G3 sanitizes your air via UV light which is produced by a built-in lamp. The UV light combined with bi-polar ionization spread throughout the air and eliminates airborne allergens like pollen, dust mites, mold, mildew, viruses, and bacteria.
This air purifier delivers 99% purification efficiency by applying NASA researched PCO Technology, bi-polar ionization, and germicidal UVC.
- Weight: 3.09 pounds
- Dimensions: 3.9 x 3.9 x 14 inches
- Area coverage: 300 sq. ft.
- 3 Technologies: AHPCO technology, Bi-polar ionization, and germicidal UVC
- 99% allergen elimination efficiency using 3 powerful technologies
- Effectively eliminates odor as well – recommended for smokers
- Purifies air and the surface
- Operates quietly
- Lightweight – easy to travel with
- Easy to maintain – no filters for replacement
- Serves small rooms only – it needs to be moved around for larger rooms
- Pricey for its area coverage
6. Airfree T800 Filterless Air Purifier
The Airfree T800 Filterless Air Purifier is a low consumption unit that serves small rooms up to a maximum of 180 sq. ft. The air purifier applies Thermodynamic TSS technology to destroy allergens such as pet dander, mold, bacteria, pollen, dust mites, and viruses.
Also, the Airfree T800 is an effective odor eliminating air purifier that effectively minimizes harmful ozone emission. Besides, this unit is the most economical and best filterless purifier for small rooms.
- Weight: 1.7 pounds
- Dimensions: 5.1 x 5.1 x 12 inches
- Technology thermodynamic TSS technology
- Area coverage: small rooms – 180 sq. ft. max
- No filters
- Energy consumption: 42 Watts
- Minimizes dangerous emission – no UV, no Ozone, and no ions
- Operates quietly
- Portable and light
- Beautiful design – blends well with house décor
- Consumes low energy
- Good for asthmatic persons – effectively gets rid of allergens
- Completely inaudible
- Easy to maintain – just plug to use; no filters for replacement
- Has no night light although some consumers like it that way
7. IonPacific ionbox Filterless Air Purifier & Ionizer
The IonPacific ionbox is one of the best air purifiers without a filter. As tiny as it is, it clears the air in small and medium rooms of up to 500 sq. ft.
Additionally, the IonPacific Ionbox uses negative ion technology to deliver high-quality air for your household. It’s been tested using a negative ion scale and proved able to emit up to 20 million ions/sec.
Running only runs at 1.5 watts, the negative ion technology enables the air purifier to consistently deliver clean air and eliminate all types of odors in your home.
The IonPacific Ionbox Filterless Air Cleaner & Ionizer is a high-quality air purifier suitable for smokers, asthmatic sufferers, and anyone prone to allergies. It is also the best filterless air purifier for travel because of its inbuilt dual voltage energy supply.
Finally, you can connect it in the car, on the laptop, and any other USB port for even more convenience.
- Weight: 4.8 ounces
- 2 x 4.4 x 2.1 inches
- Negative Ion Technology
- Area coverage: 500 sq. ft.
- Emits up to 20 million negative Ions/second
- Light – easily portable
- USB compatible
- Suitable for domestic and commercial use
- Consistent in delivering clean air round the clock
- Efficient at odor elimination
- Energy conserving – 1.5 Watts
- The little LED light stays on throughout which can be irritating to some consumers
8. Airocide Filterless Air Purifier
The Airocide Filterless Air Purifier uses a unique technology designed by NASA. The air purifier utilizes a titanium coated catalyst to eliminate allergens.
The fan draws contaminated air into the unit. The molecules are spread across a solidly packed matrix of the coated catalyst. As they get into contact with the catalyst’s surface, they are destroyed through oxidation.
This purification process takes place within the reaction chambers. These chambers come as a pair and are replaced annually. This process is safe and does not emit ozone.
- Uses a unique – NASA designed system
- Weight: 9 pounds
- Coverage: 600 sq. ft.
- Ozone free
- Offers 60 days risk-free trial
- Uses replaceable reaction chambers – with a replacement indicator
- 100% efficient at eliminating allergens
- Removes odors
- FDA and NASA certified
- 100% elimination of bacteria, fungi, mold, dust mites, and other major allergens
- No ozone emitted
- Easily maintained – only the reaction chambers are replaced annually
- The air purifier has an indicator to remind the user to replace the chamber
- Efficiently eliminates unpleasant gasses/odors
- Approved technology by FDA and NASA
- 60 days risk-free trial days offered by Airocide
- Fairly expensive compared to its peers
How do filterless air purifiers work?
There are three ways in which air purifiers with no filters work:
a) Air Purification through Ionization Technology
Contrary to traditional (filter) air purifiers, filterless air purifiers that operate by applying ionization technology purify the air by releasing negative ions into the air. Those negatively charged ions connect with positively charged particles like bacteria, pollen, virus, and other allergens.
Once they bind, the resulting combination is too heavy to float thus falls to the ground. This leaves your air lighter and cleaner.
This process is non-stop as long as the air purifier remains on. Some filters – for instance, the IonPacific ionbox release up to 20 million negative ions per second.
b) Air Purification through Thermodynamic TSS Technology
This technology is proved to 100% efficient. It applies the same concept as boiling water. As air circulates, it’s drawn into the unit and subjected to extremely high temperatures of up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Microorganisms cannot survive that level of heat regardless of their size. Once they are eliminated, the sterilized air is cooled; the unit releases the purified air back to the room to circulate. This process is continuous as long as the air purifier is on.
c) Air Purification through UV C Light Technology
Although ultraviolet light is mostly used as an additional system, it is an effective way of getting rid of airborne living organisms. UV C light in air purifiers is artificial and cannot be seen since its wavelength is shorter than the visible light.
Germicidal UV C light incapacitates and kills living cells and organisms. Contaminated air is drawn into the air purifier and passed through a chamber with UV C light. This exposure kills the organisms leaving the air free of contaminants.
This is especially effective for mold, mildew, bacteria, and viruses. Since these organisms are microscopic, the can escape a filter but not UV C light.
Some air purifiers combine filtration with UV C such that the air is passed through filters before and after the UV C exposure.
This is necessitated by the fact that UV C mainly helps with airborne contaminants thus might not attend to allergens hiding under the carpet or on the walls.
Why should you consider a filterless air purifier over an air purifier with a filter?
Air purifiers with filters can be pretty loud especially in their highest settings especially if you dislike the sound of the fan, beeps, and such noises.
You will definitely enjoy owning a filterless air purifier. UV-C light, Ionization, and thermodynamic TSS technology air filters produce minimal noise.
Maintenance for most people is a bother. Knowing how to dismantle parts, clean, replace, and sometimes look for them from manufacturers feels like too much work.
That’s why filterless air purifiers are more preferred because there are no filters to wash or replace.
Less energy consumption
The best filterless air purifiers consume less energy than traditional filters. This is because they do not have to run on high settings.
Once the fan draws the contaminated air in, it’s treated and released back into the air in a simple seamless process.
Filters expose the user to allergens during cleaning or replacement. This makes filterless air purifiers more hygienic and safe to use especially for asthmatic sufferers.
Relief from stubborn airborne allergies minimizes allergic reaction occurrences like flu, nasal blockage, and eye infections.
Apart from making the air lighter and easier to breathe, filterless air purifiers also have a refreshing effect on our bodies. This makes you feel better, sleep better, and be more productive.
This category of air purifiers consists of some of the best air purifiers in the market. They are all extremely effective at eliminating harmful airborne substances and odor. Filterless air purifiers are a good choice because they are durable, low-maintenance, economical, reliable, and extra-quiet.
Just like other air purifiers, filterless air purifiers are 100% efficient air cleaners. Also, they use a safe technology for air purification to maintain safe and healthy indoor air quality.
In summary, these are the best filterless air purifiers in 2020:
- Airfree P1000 Filterless Air Purifier
- Airfree Onix 3000 Filterless Air Purifier
- Ivation Ozone Generator Air Purifier, Ionizer & Deodorizer
- Airfree Iris 3000 Filterless Air Purifier
- Air Oasis 1000G3 Filterless Air Purifier with Ionizer
- Airfree T800 Filterless Air Purifier
- IonPacific ionbox Filterless Air Purifier & Ionizer
- Airocide Filterless Air Purifier