What is the best air purifier for a baby’s room or nursery?
Did you know, in the US only, about 6 million children between the age of 0 to 17 years suffer from asthma? The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, therefore, recommends the protection of children from triggers that promote asthma. Some of these triggers include pet dander, tobacco smoke, among other air pollutants.
Babies are highly prone to asthma because their lungs are not yet fully developed. Therefore, they have to breathe twice as fast as an adult to get sufficient oxygen. That equates to inhaling 40-60 times per minute. You can imagine the effects of the air they are breathing as it’s full of pollen, dust, mold and mildew, pet dander, smoke, bacteria, and viruses.
This is what happens afterward: they wheeze, cough, sneeze, experience difficulty breathing and suffer disturbed sleep. But when you invest in the best air purifier for babies, you’ll keep your children safe from allergy attacks. You will also allow them to enjoy quality sleep and other benefits.
In this review, we have selected only the best air purifiers for baby rooms and nurseries. We explain why they are in our list, explore their features, pros & cons. Also, as always, we’ll declare our verdict.
- Best Air Purifier for Baby Room 2021 – Comparison Table
- Reviews of the Best Air Purifiers for Baby Room & Nursery
- 1. Germ Guardian AC4150BLCA 4-in-1 – Best Air Purifier for Baby Rooms
- 2. Vornadobaby Purio Air Purifier (AC1-0040-43)
- 3. Fellowes AeraMax Baby DB55 Baby Room Air Purifier
- 4. Honeywell HPA300 True HEPA Allergen Remover
- 5. Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier
- 6. Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA
- 7. LEVOIT LV-H132 Air Purifier
- 8. Hamilton Beach TrueAir Air Purifier (04384)
- 9. Dyson Pure Cool TP04 HEPA Air Purifier and Tower Fan
- Benefits of an Air Purifier for Babies
- Our verdict
Best Air Purifier for Baby Room 2021 – Comparison Table
Before we review the products, here is a brief overview of the best air purifiers for baby rooms and nurseries in 2021:
|Best Air Purifiers for Baby Room||Weight||Max. Room Size|
|1. Germ Guardian AC4150BLCA 4-in-1 Air Purifier for Kids Rooms|
|6.5 lbs.||54 sq. ft.|
|2. Vornadobaby Purio Air Purifier (AC1-0040-43)||8.05 lbs.||125 sq. ft.|
|3. Fellowes AeraMax Baby DB55 Baby Room Air Purifier||9.9 lbs.||400 sq. ft.|
|4. Honeywell HPA300 True HEPA Allergen Remover||21 lbs.||465 sq. ft.|
|5. Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier||12.79 lbs.||361 sq.ft.|
|6. Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA||15.4 lbs.||360 sq. ft.|
|7. LEVOIT LV-H132 Air Purifier||6.61 lbs.||129 sq. ft.|
|8. Hamilton Beach TrueAir Air Purifier (04384)||6.3 lbs.||140 sq. ft.|
|9. Dyson Pure Cool TP04 HEPA Air Purifier and Tower Fan||10.89 lbs.||n/s|
Reviews of the Best Air Purifiers for Baby Room & Nursery
After a long period of research, we have narrowed down to nine of the crème de la crème. These are the best air purifiers for baby rooms in 2021:
1. Germ Guardian AC4150BLCA 4-in-1 – Best Air Purifier for Baby Rooms
The Germ Guardian AC4150BLCA 4-in-1 Air Purifier for Kids Rooms lights your baby’s room ceiling with modifiable night light projections. The projections rotate between sleepy safari, under the sea, and moon and stars themes. It also runs quietly on low setting so the kids can enjoy undisturbed sleep.
This purifier uses a 3-stage filtration system. First, the pre-filter deals with larger debris like pet hair and dust. Further filtration is by a True HEPA filter which delivers over 99.9% of allergen capture efficiency. Lastly, an activated charcoal filter effectively eliminates all types of odors penetrating your baby’s room or nursery.
This baby air purifier is compact and is suitable for the kids’ bedside table. You also have optional UV C light to help fight airborne viruses and bacteria.
- Weight: 6.5 pounds
- Dimensions: 8.9 x 7.8 x 13.1 inches
- Suitable for small rooms – 54 sq. ft. max
- 3 fan speed control
- Filtration: True HEPA, pre-filter and activated charcoal filter
- Filter replacement reminder
- Lightweight and compact
- Optional UV C light to help kick out influenza and other viruses and bacteria
- Night light projection with Twinkle Moon & Stars theme, Sleepy Safari theme, and Under the Sea theme.
- Portable – lightweight and compact
- Impressive night light with themes
- Operates quietly
- Efficient filtration with True HEPA
- Only 1 filter needs replacement every 6 to 8 months depending on use interval
- Fair price
- Excessive use of UV C light is believed to have negative effects
- Not efficient in large rooms
2. Vornadobaby Purio Air Purifier (AC1-0040-43)
Another great pick for a baby nursery is the Vornadobaby Purio. It is made with lockable controls to help keep your preferred settings intact in case the baby decides to explore.
It also has a locking filter cover, so you have nothing to worry about. Also, the smooth edgeless design ensures maximum safety for the baby. Further, the Vornadobaby Purio has a cord storage feature concealed at the bottom of the purifier.
With this unit, you’ll enjoy up to 99.97% purification efficiency using a 3-stage filtration system. This includes a True HEPA, washable pre-filter, and activated carbon. You also have 3 fan speed/airflow settings purifying the air up to 6.3 times hourly. This maintains pure air for your baby throughout, for spaces not exceeding 125 sq. ft.
- Weight: 8.05 pounds
- Dimensions: 12.8 x 9.4 x 15.2 inches
- 3 stage filtration: washable pre-filter, activated carbon, True HEPA
- Serves small and medium rooms of up to 125 sq. ft.
- 3 airflow speeds
- Covered cord storage at the base
- Filter change alert
- It’s safe – has smooth edges and lockable controls
- The sleep-mode feature is automated to slow down the fan and ensure quietness.
- Tamper-proof panel
- It has a soothing glow that mildly lights the baby’s room
- High purification rate – 6.3 times per hour
- 97% filtration efficiency – it has a True HEPA filter, a permanent washable preliminary filter that extends HEPA filter’s life, and a carbon filter for odor elimination.
- 5 years warranty
- Fairly expensive compared to its peers
- Slightly noisier
3. Fellowes AeraMax Baby DB55 Baby Room Air Purifier
Fellowes AeraMax Baby DB55 is certified as asthma & allergy friendly by the accredited Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. It uses True HEPA to deliver 99.97% efficiency in air purification. Also, it complements the HEPA filter with the AeraSafe antimicrobial treatment. This is safe for children and ensures allergens as minute as 0.3 microns are cleared.
Additional filtration using the carbon filter gets rid of all forms of odors and ensures freshness in the rooms. This purifier serves small and medium kids’ rooms below 400 sq. ft. also, the AeraSmart feature auto-detects air quality and sanitizes it as required.
- Weight: 9.9 pounds
- Dimensions: 7.1 x 13 x 20.5 inches
- Filtration system: True HEPA, carbon filter, AeraSafe antimicrobial treatment
- Serves 200 – 400 sq. ft. rooms
- Over 99.9% purification efficiency
- Serves larger rooms 200 to 400 sq. ft.
- Peaceful night feature – dimmed light and noiseless operation
- Automatically detects air quality and purifies it
- Certified by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America
- Carbon filters require frequent change – 3 months
4. Honeywell HPA300 True HEPA Allergen Remover
Honeywell HPA300 is also one of the best air purifiers for kids, serving rooms and nurseries of all sizes. This is because the air purifier is made to clean spaces as large as 465 sq. ft. It uses a customized Turbo clean setting and True HEPA to achieve over 99.9% purification success. Honeywell purifiers are accredited for efficient removal of allergens ranging from smoke, dust, pollen, pet dander, bacteria, and viruses.
The Honeywell HPA300 is also recognized for having high CADR ratings; 300 for smoke, 300 for pollen, and 320 for dust.
- Weight: 21 pounds
- Dimensions: 9.2 x 20 x 22.2 inches
- Turbo clean setting
- Filters up to 5 times every hour
- Covers large room sizes – up to 465 sq. ft.
- Manual setting – not auto
- Serves large rooms
- Efficient purification using True HEPA
- Filter change reminders – 3 months for pre-filter and 1 year for True HEPA
- Effectively gets rid of odors using the carbon filter
- 5-year warranty
- Relatively loud
- Has no auto mode or remote control feature
5. Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier
The Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier cleans the air in 4 stages. It has the pre-filter to capture larger airborne particles, a Deodorization filter to eliminate all odors, True HEPA and a vital ionizer to clean air with 99.9% efficiency. Therefore, the Coway AP-1512HH Mighty is one of the best air purifiers for baby nurseries. Also, it covers spaces up to 361 sq. ft.
It is also one the best purifiers for baby rooms because of its impressive CADR ratings: 246 for dust, 233 for smoke, and 240 for pollen.
- Weight: 12.79 pounds
- Dimensions: 9.6 x 16.8 x 18.3 inches
- 4-stage filtration: pre-filter, deodorization filter, HEPA filter, and a vital ionizer
- Filter alert for replacements
- Noise range: 53.8 decibels on high setting, 24.4 decibels on low setting
- The fan can be manually set from level 1 to 3
- The fan also automatically adjusts depending on the sensed air quality
- Serves rooms of up to 361 sq. ft. in size
- Fairly quiet
- Serves large rooms – up to 361 sq. ft.
- The fan is automatic but can also be set manually
- Saves energy using the Eco mode
- Senses air quality and adjusts the fan speed accordingly
- The top light does not have an on/off option
6. Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA
Baby rooms and nurseries often have odors from the waste. Winix 5500-2 air purifier uses PlasmaWave filters to break down all odors, chemical vapors, allergens, and other pollutants. The Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier also applies True HEPA efficiency to capture any airborne pollutants in the room.
Also, PlasmaWave technology is complimented by washable carbon filters. The filters are made from carbon granules which enhance odor elimination efficiency. Winix 5500-2 covers small and medium rooms up to 360 sq. ft. and operates quietly at 27.8 decibels.
- Weight: 15.4 pounds
- Dimensions: 15 x 8.2 x 23.6 inches
- Filtration: uses PlasmaWave (as a permanent filter), washable carbon filter – AOC and True HEPA.
- Automatically senses air quality and adjusts fan accordingly
- Covers rooms of up to 360 sq. ft. in size
- Excellent air filtration efficiency
- Serves large rooms
- Double elimination of odors using PlasmaWave and activated carbon
- Operates quietly
- It has night feature with dimmed light and quiet fan
- Durable washable and replaceable filters with replacement alert
- Not completely ozone-free
7. LEVOIT LV-H132 Air Purifier
The LEVOIT LV-H132 uses a 3-speed setting and a 3-stage filtration to deliver over 99.9% filtration success. It has a pre-filter, carbon, and HEPA filters. So, your baby will enjoy clean odorless air that is free of allergens. It also has commendable noise levels averaging 25 decibels on its low setting. It purifies air 4 times every hour for baby rooms measuring 129 sq. ft. and below.
The LEVOIT LV-H132 doesn’t use UV C light, and, therefore, provides an ozone-free environment for you and your child. It also fits the bedside table comfortably and the night light is mild thus does not disturb sleep.
- Weight: 6.61 pounds
- Dimensions: 8.5 x 8.5 x 14.5 Inches
- Noise level: 25 decibels
- 2 light settings
- Suitable for small rooms – 129 sq. ft. max
- 3-stage filtration: preliminary filter, true HEPA filter, carbon filter
- ETL listed and CARB certified
- 100% ozone-free
- Light and compact for a baby’s room
- Calm night light
- Fairly priced
- 4 purification cycles every hour
- Longer filter life – 6 to 8 months
- Relatively quiet
- 2-year warranty
- Not suitable for large rooms
8. Hamilton Beach TrueAir Air Purifier (04384)
The Hamilton Beach TrueAir is another ideal option for a baby’s room because it’s ultra-quiet, compact, and efficient. Like some of its competitors, it also uses permanent filters. So, it saves you the cost of replacement.
It uses 2 zeolite filters to get rid of odors, a permanent pre-filter, and a permanent HEPA filter to deliver over 99% air purification.
Lastly, the Hamilton Beach TrueAir Air Purifier 04384 has 3-speed settings and is suitable for small rooms measuring 140 sq. ft. and below.
- Weight: 6.3 pounds
- Dimensions: 10.8 x 8.1 x 16.4 inches
- 3 stage filtration: permanent HEPA and pre-filters, 2 replaceable zeolite filters
- Suitable for 140 sq. ft. rooms and less
- 3-speed settings
- Compact size
- Cost-saving – the pre-filter and HEPA filter don’t need replacement
- Efficient odor elimination using zeolite filters
- Effectively collects pollutants – over 99.9% HEPA efficiency
- There’s no reminder for cleaning the filters – one might forget
9. Dyson Pure Cool TP04 HEPA Air Purifier and Tower Fan
Dyson Pure Cool TP04 is a digital, Wi-Fi and Alexa-compatible purifier with a tower fan. Amazingly, you can operate it remotely and set schedules that suit you and your baby. The purifier also auto-senses the air quality in the room and auto-adjusts the fan as it displays the results on the LCD screen.
Lastly, the fan speeds range from 1-10. This gives you a wide range of options.
- Weight: 10.89 pounds
- Dimensions: 8 x 8.8 x 41.5 inches
- Night mode operation – dims the light and slows down the fan
- Can be remotely controlled via Wi-Fi and Alexa
- Speed fans: 1 to 10
- 350 degrees oscillation
- Efficient filtration and odor elimination
- Compact and sleek design
- Digitally enabled
- Auto-senses air quality and adjusts the fan accordingly
- LCD for alerts & reports on the purifier’s operation
- You can set schedules using the Dyson app link
- Relatively loud on high setting
Benefits of an Air Purifier for Babies
As you invest in a purifier, it doesn’t benefit the baby only, it adds value to you too. The reverse is the same – there are adverse effects of not using a purifier for the baby’s room. Let’s explore the main pluses of using a purifier.
Sleep is as essential as food to a baby. Whenever babies experience disturbed sleep, they become fussy and cry for long periods. And that is what is likely to happen if the room is highly polluted and the baby can’t breathe with ease. That fussiness extends to you because you have to bear all the cries and disturbed sleep leaving you fatigued and miserable.
A good air purifier captures air pollutants and leaves the room fresh and conducive for the baby to sleep soundly. Most purifiers also provide mild lighting and a soothing white sound on low setting which lulls the baby. The baby sleeps adequately, becomes peaceful and, therefore, leaves you joyful.
Odor and smoke elimination
Baby rooms and nurseries can harbor the worst of smells especially during changing times. Purifiers make it possible to capture all odors, smokes and chemical vapors; they clear the air and enable a fresh environment for the baby. The most common odor eliminating filters are activated carbon, charcoal filter, and PlasmaWave.
Protection from dust and other airborne particles
Babies spend most of their time on the floor where most dust particles settle. They also breathe twice as fast as adults. Therefore, they can inhale more dust and other allergens.
Also, a baby’s weak immune system is prone to many attacks, due to their underdeveloped organs. So, they cannot fight attacks as well as adults do.
Inhalation of air pollutants may result in asthma and other allergic attacks. This harms their fragile bodies, damages their cellular systems, and can result in a lifetime of challenges. An air purifier, therefore, becomes an essential part of your home. It acts as a shield by capturing all the pollutants that would otherwise gain entry to your baby’s lungs.
Enjoy having pets
Today, most homes have poorer indoor air quality than the air outdoors. This is partly because of our pets. When you have pets, you can’t avoid pet dander. They leave tiny food particles, they shed fur, and they spread their saliva all over the house, and can even harbor other allergens like pollen.
Pets are friendly to babies so they tend to sleep and play together. This gives your baby a higher chance of suffering allergies. Since it’s almost impossible to control how much interaction your baby will have with the pets, the only solution is acquiring an efficient air purifier.
Air purifiers with True HEPA filters can capture allergens and other pollutants as small as 0.3 microns in size. This translates to an efficiency rate of up to 99.97%. For efficient filtration, we recommend the first consideration be True HEPA, followed by activated carbon or charcoal filter for odor elimination.
Babies need safety as much as they need fresh air. Their curiosity also causes them to try and reach beyond the imaginable, sometimes.
With this in mind, we vote the Germ Guardian AC4150BLCA 4-in-1 as the best air purifier for baby rooms and nurseries. The manufacturer thought about babies’ safety. Whether toddlers or infants, this purifier offers an ideal environment for the baby. It’s soothing night light projections and quiet operation on low setting provides an excellent environment for sound sleep.
Also, its filtration system is efficient. By using a True HEPA filter, it gets rid of air pollutants at a rate of up to 99.97%. The carbon filter further captures all types of odors leaving the air fresh and pure for the baby. Without a doubt, it is one of the highest performing purifiers for baby rooms and nurseries.
In summary, these are the best air purifiers for baby room and nursery in 2021:
- Germ Guardian AC4150BLCA 4-in-1 Air Purifier for Kids Rooms
- Vornadobaby Purio Air Purifier (AC1-0040-43)
- Fellowes AeraMax Baby DB55 Baby Room Air Purifier
- Honeywell HPA300 True HEPA Allergen Remover
- Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier
- Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA
- LEVOIT LV-H132 Air Purifier
- Hamilton Beach TrueAir Air Purifier (04384)
- Dyson Pure Cool TP04 HEPA Air Purifier and Tower Fan