What is the best air purifier for mold, mildew, and viruses?
Often, we seal our houses to shield them from external allergens while the inside is in a worse condition rotting with indoor pollution. For allergy sufferers, this is detrimental to their health. It also puts them at risk of recurring infections.
We believe that you are here because you have discovered a mold and mildew problem in your home. You might not be allergic to mold, but you are aware of the health dangers posed by long term exposure to mold, mildew, and viruses. Mold generally occurs in areas that have high humidity and it is very hard to eliminate because of its small size.
An air purifier is an essential tool in keeping our homes clean, fresh – odorless and comfortable and also energy efficient. Air purifiers use multiple filtration processes to trap dust and all types of allergens.
- Best Air Purifiers for Mold, Mildew and Viruses – Comparison
- Features to consider when buying the best purifier for mold and mildew
- Reviews of the Best Air Purifier for Mold, Mildew, and Viruses
- 1. LEVOIT LV-PUR131 True HEPA Air Purifier for Home
- 2. GermGuardian 3-in-1 True HEPA Air Purifier (AC4825)
- 3. Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA
- 4. Alen BreatheSmart FLEX Air Purifier
- 5. LEVOIT Compact Air Purifier for Mold (LV-H132)
- 6. Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA
- 7. Coway Mighty AP-1512HH Air Purifier with True HEPA
- 8. Hathaspace 5-in-1 Smart True HEPA Air Purifier
- 9. Fellowes AeraMax 200 Air Purifier for Mold
- 10. RENPHO Air Purifier with HEPA Filter (RP-AP001)
- Types of allergens
Best Air Purifiers for Mold, Mildew and Viruses – Comparison
Before we get into more details, here is a summary of the top 10 best air purifiers for mold, mildew and viruses:
|Best Air Purifier for Mold||Weight||Filtration||Max. Room Size|
|1. LEVOIT LV-PUR131 True HEPA Air Purifier|
|15.25 lbs.||True HEPA||360 sq. ft.|
|2. GermGuardian 3-in-1 True HEPA Air Purifier (AC4825)||7 lbs.||True HEPA||167 sq. ft.|
|3. Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA||15.4 lbs.||True HEPA||360 sq. ft.|
|4. Alen BreatheSmart FLEX Air Purifier||23 lbs.||HEPA||700 sq. ft.|
|5. LEVOIT Compact Air Purifier for Mold (LV-H132)||6.61 lbs.||True HEPA||129 sq.ft.|
|6. Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA||17.9 lbs.||True HEPA||360 sq. ft.|
|7. Coway Mighty AP-1512HH Air Purifier with True HEPA||12.79 lbs.||True HEPA||361 sq. ft.|
|8. Hathaspace 5-in-1 Smart True HEPA Air Purifier||12 lbs.||True HEPA||350 sq. ft.|
|9. Fellowes AeraMax 200 Air Purifier for Mold||10.5 lbs.||HEPA||400 sq. ft.|
|10. RENPHO Air Purifier with HEPA Filter (RP-AP001)||15.8 lbs.||True HEPA||302 sq. ft.|
Features to consider when buying the best purifier for mold and mildew
Purification and filtration are synonymous. A good purifier works with these filters to ensure your home is allergen-free.
Nobody likes bad smells in the house. Even when we can’t smell them, carbon fumes are continually being produced and circulated in our homes. Most of the time, we assume that as long as we cannot smell them, it’s safe. Unfortunately, it’s not the case; you need an activated carbon filter to get rid of every form of odor.
Mold mildew and viruses are so microscopic, if you are judging the status of your house by its looks, you are mistaken. Microns can be as tiny as 0.3 mm. You need a purifier endowed with a good filtration system. HEPA filter – also known as true-HEPA is an approved system that captures up to 99.97% of all viruses, mold, and mildew.
UV-C Light Filter
This is more of a defensive filter. It gets rid of mold spores even those that are budding. It complements the other filters with a 100% capture rate.
Reviews of the Best Air Purifier for Mold, Mildew, and Viruses
Therefore, we will help you find the best air purifier for mold, mildew, and viruses to eliminate the problem completely from your home. After thorough research, we have narrowed down to the best picks. These are the best air purifiers for mold, mildew, and viruses in 2020:
1. LEVOIT LV-PUR131 True HEPA Air Purifier for Home
LEVOIT LV-PUR131 tops the list for best air purifiers for mold and mildew. It’s highly efficient as it changes air four to five times per hour for a room size of up to 360 sq. ft. LEVOIT does not use UV C light and anion or any other purification method that is not 100% ozone free.
LEVOIT LV-PUR131 is a trusted and quality assured purifier that has earned multiple certifications like ENERGY STAR, CARB, FCC, and CE. It is also energy saving.
- Weight: 15.25 pounds
- Dimensions: 14.5 x 7.2 x 18.5 inches
- Noise level: 27 Decibels
- Room area: 360 sq. ft.
- 3 fan speed settings
- CADR: 135 CFM
- LED display with on and off options
- ENERGY STAR, CARB, FCC certified & CE listed
- Ozone free purification method
- 30% faster than other purifiers
- 3 automatically adjusting fan speeds
- High efficiency – serves larger rooms up to 360 sq. ft.
- Energy-saving and quality assured; multi-certified.
- Fairly heavier than its peers
2. GermGuardian 3-in-1 True HEPA Air Purifier (AC4825)
This is a 3-in-1 purifier that features a True HEPA air filter. GermGuardian AC4825 makes the list for the best air purifiers for mold, mildew, and viruses because of its efficiency in terminating airborne viruses like staph, rhinovirus, and influenza. It uses Titanium Dioxide to minimize impulsive organic compounds.
GermGuardian AC4825 serves middle size rooms of up to 167 sq. ft. It has 3-speed settings and its CADR ratings are 108 for smoke, 125 for pollen and 118 for dust. It is also quiet and is known to minimize odors brought about by pets, smoke, and dirt.
- Weight: 7 pounds
- Dimensions: 9 x 5.5 x 21.5 inches
- 3-in-1 purifier feature
- 3-speed setting
- Uses True HEPA
- Serves up to 167 sq. ft.
- Optional UV C light
- CADR rating: dust 118, pollen 125, smoke 108
- It’s fairly quiet and Lightweight
- Prolongs the service life of HEPA filter
- Serves a large area of up to 167 sq. ft.
- Maintaining the filters require frequent replacement & cleaning. They are not washable thus need to be changed monthly.
3. Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA
Winix is also CADR rated. It serves medium and large-sized rooms of up to 360 sq. ft. This air purifier uses PlasmaWave which acts as a permanent filter to eliminate odor, chemical fumes and all types of allergens. Then, it has sensors that gauge the air and automatically adjust the fan for filtration as required.
Winix 5500-2 uses washable filters made of carbon granular to remove emanating odors. It also applies True HEPA technology for airborne pollutant elimination. It has a night sensor that senses dim light and slows the fan for un-disturbed sleep. Without a doubt, therefore, it is one of the best purifiers for mold.
- Weight: 15.4 pounds
- Dimensions: 15 x 8.2 x 23.6 inches
- Filtration: True HEPA filtration; PlasmaWave use (as a permanent filter) and washable carbon filter – AOC
- Auto mode adjustments that fan the filter
- Suitable for medium and large rooms – up to 360 sq. ft.
- CADR rated
- Serves fairly large rooms
- Uses efficient filtration methods – PlasmaWave and True HEPA
- Durable washable filters
- Senses the nights and dims indicator light, slows the fan for un-disturbed sleep
- Color options are limited
- Does not have a dedicated switch for night mode
4. Alen BreatheSmart FLEX Air Purifier
Alen BreatheSmart cleans rooms of up to 700 sq. ft. twice an hour. Its Whisper ax technology makes it one of the quietest air purifiers on the market, especially on turbo speed. It combines beauty and efficiency to get rid of all allergens.
- Weight: 23 pounds
- Dimension: 19 x 16 x 28 inches
- Cleans up to 700 sq. ft. – twice per hour
- Whisper ax quiet technology – 2X as quiet compared to peers
- HEPA silver filter
- Suitable for medium and large rooms
- Effective HEPA filtration
- Good design – suits multiple decors
- Quite loud on turbo mode – 55 decibels
5. LEVOIT Compact Air Purifier for Mold (LV-H132)
LEVOIT uses a 3-stage filtration system that is: pre-filter stage, True HEPA filter stage and carbon filter stage to capture all allergens with an efficiency rate of 99.97%. 3-in-1 system also gets rid of odors leaving the house fresh and safe. The High-efficiency Air Purifier circulates air 4 times every hour in small and medium rooms.
LEVOIT does not support using of air pollutants that are not 100% ozone free. They also ensured that this purifier is among the quietest in the market. At 25 decibels, you will not have disturbed sleep. You also get to choose between 2 brightness night settings.
- Weight: 6.61 pounds
- Dimensions: 8.5 x 8.5 x 14.5 inches
- Noise level: 25 decibels
- The maximum area of effectiveness: 129 sq. ft.
- 3-in-1 filtration; pre-filter, True HEPA and carbon filter
- Night light option; dim/on/off
- CARB and FCC certified; ETL listed
- Fairly priced and lightweight
- Does not apply filtration methods that are not ozone free
- Rapid purification – up to 4 times per hour
- Filter change reminder – 6-8 months recommended depending on the intensity of use and quality
- Not noisy – does not disturb sleep
- 2-year warranty and lifetime LEVOIT support
- The blue light at night may interrupt sleep for some people
- Filters one room only
6. Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA
Winix 5300 2 combines PlasmaWave technology, 3-stage cleaning system and True HEPA. Therefore, it delivers 99.97% filtration effectiveness and safe elimination of odor and harmful vapors. Also, removal of other pollutants and allergens ensures that the indoor air quality is superb.
Winix 5300 – 2 has a smart sensor that gauges the air and automatically adjusts the fan to filter the air as per need. Another interesting feature is the sleep mode; it auto-adjusts its operation at night to allow you to have undisturbed sleep. Lastly, this purifier is CADR rated for 360 sq. ft. and its delivered airflow ranges up to 236 CFM.
- Weight: 17.9 pounds
- Dimensions: 14.9 x 7.8 x 23.6 inches
- 3-stage cleaning – gets rid of allergens and odors; PlasmaWave Technology – effective reduction of pollutants without harmful ozone effects and True HEPA filtration which is 99.97% effective.
- Efficient air purification using HEPA filtration
- Suitable for small and medium rooms
- Effective allergen trapping and odor reduction
- Some users do not appreciate the night-mode music
7. Coway Mighty AP-1512HH Air Purifier with True HEPA
Coway AP-1512HH is one of the best air purifiers this year. And the reason is simple – great technology. Its filtration system is un-beatable. It’s a 4 stage system that combines washable pre-filter, odor filter, True HEPA filter, and vital ionizer in that order.
On top of that, its CADR rates are 233 cubic feet for smoke, 240 cubic ft. for pollen and 246 cubic ft. for dust. In total, it covers up to 361 sq. ft. It also has a population sensor that shows real-time indoor air quality with an LED display, timer and an indicator for the filter’s lifetime. With all these features, Coway AP-1512HH tops in the best purifier for viruses.
- Weight: 12.79 pounds
- Dimensions: 9.6 x 16.8 x 18.3 inches
- 4-stage filtration: pre-filter, odor filter, True HEPA and a vital ionizer
- Air quality sensor with LED display
- Filter timer and lifetime indicator
- Manual and automatic fan setting option
- Quiet operation with a minimum of 24.4 decibels.
- Efficient at allergens and viruses capture as well as eliminating odor
- Fan settings – 1 to 3; with automatic and manual settings
- High-level air quality management technology
- Suitable for medium and large rooms
- Vibrates on the high-speed setting
8. Hathaspace 5-in-1 Smart True HEPA Air Purifier
Hathaspace also stands out in technology applied. It has a 5-in-1 purification system that combines Nano Cold Catalyst Filter with a cellular activated carbon filter, anti-bacterial filter, True HEPA filter, and an ionizer in that order.
The Nano filter captures larger particles and gets rid of chemicals while the cellular carbon filter is for the absorption of smoke, gases, and odors as well as other volatile organic compounds.
The anti-bacterial filter eradicates fungi, bacteria, and viruses. The HEPA filter takes care of small microns like pollen, dust and dust mites while the ionizer releases anions that electrically charge air particles then neutralizes them thus causing them to be easily trapped.
- Weight: 12 pounds
- Dimensions: 13.5 x 7 x 19.5 (inches)
- 5-in-1 air purification system: Nano Cold catalyst filter; cellular activated carbon filter, HEPA filter, antibacterial filter, and ionizer.
- 350 sq. ft. ; 2 changes per hour
- High Tech Efficient system – 5-in-1 purification system
- HEPA filter set
- Remote control
- 2-year warranty
- It’s not energy saving, it doesn’t stop running when the air is clean
9. Fellowes AeraMax 200 Air Purifier for Mold
AeraMax pre-filter maximizes trapping dust and the larger or harmful allergens like mold, mildew, pollen and pet dander. It also features an automatic air purifier that auto-adjusts the fan speed to purify effectively. AeraMax is certified by the Allergy Foundation of America as Allergy and Asthma friendly.
Also, the AeraMax ensures minimal or no volatile organic compounds, odor-free atmosphere, and 99.97% allergens capture.
- Weight 10.5 pounds
- Dimensions: 7.1 x 13x 20.5 inches
- Suitable for room sizes between 200 and 400 sq. ft.
- Automatic air purifier
- Efficient purification – 99.97% with HEPA filter
- Automatic air quality sensor and purification
- The control lights are overly bright and have no dimming option for the night.
10. RENPHO Air Purifier with HEPA Filter (RP-AP001)
RENPHO RP-AP001 ranks in the list for best purifiers for mildew owing to its 4 stage filtration system. It uses pre-filter, charcoal filter, an activated carbon filter plus True HEPA to eradicate pollen, pet dander, odors, smoke, virus, mold, mildew, and other allergens. It serves small and medium rooms of up to 302 sq. ft.
It’s a quiet purifier CADR rated 135 CFM has a smart air sensor that consistently detects the quality of air and adjusts the fan speed depending on the air quality sensed. RENPHO AP001 has separate indicators for each filter’s lifetime. Also, it is CARB certified and does not use UV C.
- Weight: 15.8 pounds
- Dimensions: 14 x 8.1 x 20.9 (inches)
- 4-in-1 purification system: pre-filter, charcoal filter, activated carbon filter, and True HEPA filter
- Suitable for rooms not exceeding 302 sq. ft.
- Effective 4-in-1 filtration
- Serves large areas of up to 302 sq. ft.
- Air quality sensor with automatic adjustment
- Separate filter lifetime indicators
- Slightly heavy
Types of allergens
Due to their microscopic nature, we may estimate these allergens and how they affect us. Let’s have a look at each of them to understand what they are and how we can detect them.
Molds thrive in wet areas, externally; they could hatch under uncut grass and un-kept backyards. Within the house, they thrive in the bathroom, in kitchen cabinets especially under the sink, and also in the basement. There are multiple species of mold and the majority of them are microscopic.
When molds become airborne, they spur allergic infections. Symptoms include sneezing, irritable eyes, coughs and wheezes, itchy throat, running nose and nasal congestion. Molds can also prompt asthmatic symptoms thus need to be thoroughly managed.
Mildew appears as a whitish coating or gray patches on the wall or floor. It’s a type of fungus that grows mostly in damp places where there is organic material for example leather, wood, or paper. Except for color, it mimics the appearance of mold and they both can generate odors.
The allergy symptoms emerging from mildew resemble those of a common cold. Your head also tends to feel bulky with faint pains.
Pets especially cats have multiple proteins that trigger allergic infections. These allergens are harbored in their saliva, skin, and fur. Pets also tend to harbor other allergens like pollen and dust. If you have multiple pets, chances of contacting allergic infections are much higher.
However, depending on your sensitivity level, exposure to pets may cause you to have symptoms but not suffer an infection. Pet allergy symptoms may comprise sneezing, coughing, watery and red eyes, itchiness, skin rash, nasal pain caused by congestion, running nose and shortness of breath.
Dust and dust mites
Often, dust settles on the floor but when triggered during vacuuming or dusting, it becomes easily inhaled. Also, dust mites thrive in warm and humid areas. But they do not spread unless triggered. They are tiny organisms that feed off-air moisture and house dust.
If your house is humid, carpeted with curtains and drapes, then it’s a perfect thriving area for dust and dust mites. Their allergic symptoms resemble those of other allergens, that is, sneezing and dry cough, running nose and nasal congestion, itchiness, and shortness of breath.
Pollen is one of the most common airborne allergens in our homes today. It mostly emanates from flowers, trees, and grass, and is more prevalent during hot and windy seasons. Pollen triggers allergic infections referred to as hay fever.
The symptoms are also closely related to those of other allergens. The most prominent ones are sneezing, coughing and wheezing, a stuffy or runny nose, itchy throat, and red, watery and itchy eyes.
Looking for the best air purifiers for mold, mildew, and viruses is not a walk in the park. You need to know what to check when shopping for one to get the value for money. Also, you must find an efficient air purifier that gets the job done quickly.
In most cases, the air inside our homes is way more toxic than the air outside. Why?
While the air outside contains pollen and dust, the air inside is concentrated and harbors many more pollutants. Internal pollutants can be viruses, mildew, bacteria, mold, pet dander, smoke emanating from fire and tobacco, dust mites, and chemicals from household machinery.
An air purifier is the most-efficient anti-allergen tool in your home. Therefore, you must take the time to buy the right one.
In summary, these are the best air purifiers for mold, mildew and viruses in 2020:
- LEVOIT LV-PUR131 True HEPA Air Purifier for Home
- GermGuardian 3-in-1 True HEPA Air Purifier (AC4825)
- Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA
- Alen BreatheSmart FLEX Air Purifier
- LEVOIT Compact Air Purifier for Mold (LV-H132)
- Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA
- Coway Mighty AP-1512HH Air Purifier with True HEPA
- Hathaspace 5-in-1 Smart True HEPA Air Purifier
- Fellowes AeraMax 200 Air Purifier for Mold
- RENPHO Air Purifier with HEPA Filter (RP-AP001)